Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

User Registration

Quote Reply
User Registration
Okay I've got this thing figured out without a single post until now. My question is regarding user registration.

I would like to make it so a user can enter their name as the username, their address and other information and they are automatically registered and logged in. This would make one less step in joining my club and being added to the database at the same time.

Is anyone doing this? Is it possible?

Quote Reply
Re: User Registration In reply to
Please check out the threads in the FAQ noted below under the section "Admin / Setup". I think you may find some ideas there.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
The FAQ is very helpful, however . . . In reply to
I didn't find just the right thing ("Create userid based on signup form"). Very useful but didn't tell me how to create the signup form. There are many other things I will learn from that FAQ as well, thanks!

My question: I would like to have the form include a field to choose a userid/password (as it currently does) in addition to entering name/address/etc. Does this mean that I just need to edit the signup_form to include all the important fields and the record will be entered at the same time the userid and password processed? And after the process, would they be logged in as themselves? brought back to the login?

If not, what is the process I must have to make that happen. I hope I have been clear enough in my questions.

This script is just right for my use if this can be done. When complete, I'll have admin access to all info, default user access to just username/email address/picture and each user can edit their own information only. Seems pretty simple! Anybody doing this? have an example?

THANKS!!

Chris
www.socalhotboats.com
Another script I'm using is a interactive calendar, check it out www.socalhotboats.com/cal

Quote Reply
Re: The FAQ is very helpful, however . . . In reply to
Since the username and password are both saved in the .pass file and you are wanting to write to both file the .db and .pass file with the signup form. You may want to consider instead using:

Force a new user to add a record after they signup for an account. This will check to see if a user already has an account, and if not they will automatically be taken to the add form.

See: "Send user to add_form after sign up" or "Forcing to add a record if no record exists"

You might also want to use: "Skip the login after signup?"

Both those thread references can be found in the FAQ noted below in the section for "Admin & Setup".

I really think by reading through the various threads in that section of the FAQ you will find a solution that will work for you.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/