Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

NEWBIE Questions

Quote Reply
NEWBIE Questions
Hi
I have just downloaded DBman as I want to try and make a profile database for an amateur radio website. So users can submit there details and view other peoples. Also to upload images (one per record)

It looks TOOO :( daunting for a newbie like myself - so any tips about how I should plan my database and is DBman the script to do it?

Quote Reply
Re: NEWBIE Questions In reply to
In Reply To:
I have just downloaded DBman as I want to try and make a profile database for an amateur radio website. So users can submit there details and view other peoples. Also to upload images (one per record)

It looks TOOO :( daunting for a newbie like myself - so any tips about how I should plan my database and is DBman the script to do it?
This script is perfect for what you want to do and more! Best suggestion for one who is just trying it for the first time is to read the instructions carefully and just setup a default install of dbman to get a feel for how it works, record layout and display etc.

Once that is done you'll have no problem advancing on your own as well as drawing upon the voluminous experience of a long list of highly qualified dbman users who participate regularly in these forums.

easy does it
Quote Reply
There is an excellent tutorial written by JPDeni which will help you to gain an understanding of how to setup your database, which includes her configurator which will greatly help you in setting up your database.

The tutorial is located at: http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
Excellent!

Thanks for replying with Denises Tutorial - Exactly what I was needing - a slow step by step approach.

Cheers all!

Quote Reply
Well six hours later I have a working database (I think?)

One thing I have not been able to figure out is how the user registers (I have the permissions set to all can view) but the Log in box Always appeears with no abvious way to subscribe.

Any help warmly recieved!

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
One thing I have not been able to figure out is how the user registers (I have the permissions set to all can view) but the Log in box Always appeears with no abvious way to subscribe.
You need to have the following codes in the sub html_home routine:

Code:

<a href="$db_script_url?db=default&signup_form=1">Register Account</a>

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for that! This is the first forum I have used where poeple reply - and the same day too!!

I have another question :), sorry about this but I am getting there slowly...

Is there a list of the ?bla bla stuff that goes on the end of the url to db.cgi? Specifically I would like to

-Put a search box on another server to search just one field
-Allow users to view database without logining in (can not work out how to bring up the home page with out a login). I tried to put URL-to-db.cgi?view_records=1&Callsign=mm0aof" (record exsists) but it just asks me to log in.

I have set permissions for
$auth_no_authentication = 0;
$auth_allow_default = 1;
@auth_default_permissions = (1,0,0,0,0);
$auth_signup = 1;
@auth_signup_permissions = (1,1,1,1,0);
$auth_modify_own = 1;
$auth_view_own = 0;
$auth_user_field = 1;
I must admit to being a bit confussed by permissions.

Also how do I include Field names in the HTML (To get a Welcome 'Fieldname' thing going) I tried to put Welcom $rec{'callsign'} - it printed the welcome but not the callsign field

Any help greatly appreciated
Best wishes
Mike

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Put a search box on another server to search just one field
Search the DBMAN Customization Forum for External Search Form AND the Unofficial DBMAN FAQ web site that is linked in the Resource Center.

In Reply To:
Allow users to view database without logining in
This question has been addressed a number of times in the DBMAN Forums and most recently in the DBMAN Customization Forum yesterday. Search for default user.

In Reply To:
Also how do I include Field names in the HTML (To get a Welcome 'Fieldname' thing going) I tried to put Welcom $rec{'callsign'} - it printed the welcome but not the callsign field
The record has to be added to use fields from the default.db file. To pull the username from the default.pass, there are codes available via Modifications at the following web site:

http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/

Which is also another good web site to check before asking questions in the forums! Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee