Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

recording and printing user data on search results

Quote Reply
recording and printing user data on search results
Hi,

I have downloaded and configured the dbman according to my needs in a short time, it is a very nice script and works well.

On the other hand as I am new to the dbman, I have been stuck in one point. In my data base, admin gives the permission to users and users post messages.

What I want to make, entering some personal data of users as email and web site addresses in a secondary data file (?) and showing these to parameters with in the user's posts on search result screen.

Is it possible to do with this version of dbman and if possible, how?

Thanks in advance,

akula
Quote Reply
Re: [akula] recording and printing user data on search results In reply to
Can you be really specific as to what you want to do? I'm not sure I'm following you. What exactly would you like to be displayed? Examples are really helpful.

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] recording and printing user data on search results In reply to

Let me try,

1. I have a database which requires authentication for users.
2. User's (or at least administrator) have to enter their email address and web site address while taking their user names and passwords.
3. Then a user adds a record.
4. Others who are reading this record may see the email and web site address somewehere within his/her record. (some similar behaviour with the info on upper left corners of our messages in this forum)

I hope i can explain what I want better but I am afraid my english level is not enough for a better representation...

Best Regards,
Quote Reply
Re: [akula] recording and printing user data on search results In reply to
Quote:
3. Then a user adds a record.

Can each user add only one record or more than one?

If each user can add only one record, then you'll just need to add fields for the email address, website address and anything else for the user to the database definition.

If each user can add more than one record, you'll need to set up a relational database. There is information on using relational databases with DBMan on this page: http://www.jpdeni.com/.../Mods/relational.txt I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] recording and printing user data on search results In reply to
Each user will add more then one record, so adding their info to the database in every record will result unneccessarily large data file.

So have to try to setup a relational database acording to your instructions...

Thanks