Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Perplexing problem: DBMan hangs/stalls w/o warning after flawless performance

Quote Reply
Perplexing problem: DBMan hangs/stalls w/o warning after flawless performance
I've been using DBMan since it first came out. This problem has me stumped. I'll enter some records (benign ASCII text w/some HTML list tags for a job database) and it will run just fine -- save/modify/delete, etc.

Moments later I will try to add or modify a record, and it just sits there, working, but nothing's happening.

A quick check of the processes on the box (Apache on BSD) shows no runaway Perl activity. Nothing is set wrong; all permissions are OK. Like I said, this was running fine when a customer brought to my attention she all of a sudden could not add new records, it just hung.

There are no error messages; the Web browser process bar just runs, and runs, then the page times out.

My guess at first was that there was something wrong with the server, although nothing has been done it recently. I have a duplicate test server which ran the program just fine, however, after a while of testing it thouroughly, it too demonstrated this behavior.

My question, has anyone seen this "timed-out" behavior? If so, what was the problem?

Thanks,

Shawn

Seattle, WA
Quote Reply
Re: [shawnchittle] Perplexing problem: DBMan hangs/stalls w/o warning after flawless performance In reply to
How large is the database?

Have you checked the database to be sure it hasn't become corrupted? This does happen at times.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Perplexing problem: DBMan hangs/stalls w/o warning after flawless performance In reply to
No, there are only 1 or 2 records. I even tried from scratch, installing the default DBMan and it still doesn't behave with this jobs DB. Sometimes it lets a record be added, sometimes not; sometimes it lets a record be modified and sometimes not. I'm experimenting with the varying kinds of text that I'm entering... believe it or not it seems to be a point of contention. I am using 'textarea' fields -- typical stuff with a few HTML tags in the record, again nothing to worry about, just a few <ul><li></ul> combinations and <br> tags. I do notice that DBMan puts ``` in the record; I'm assuming those are line breaks/returns.

Although early in the debugging process, I am pretty nervous. With no error log or failures recorded, the options are quite limiting.

There is very little posting about DBMan stalling/timing out too, which is why I turned to this forum and the DBMan gods and goddesses. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: [shawnchittle] Perplexing problem: DBMan hangs/stalls w/o warning after flawless performance In reply to
The only instances as I recall regarding timeouts was when the database was either very large, or with some specific mods (i.e. mailing mods)

I've noticed several servers force page reloads which at times causes problems with tracking the record ID, if you are using tracking. If this may be the case there is a thread reference in the FAQ called "Prevent Duplicate ID # due to page Reload" under the section "ADMIN" which may help solve this.

Without looking at your files, it's hard to guess what might be happening. If you want your files viewed, please save a text copy of the files and provide the urls to where they can be viewed.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/