Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Records without headers or footers

Quote Reply
Records without headers or footers
Hi,

I've just installed DBman to test out if my idea for maintaining a distributor database. Everything is running fine but I need to somehow modify the record output for visitors so only 1 shows at a time and with no headers or footers next/previous page stuff etc, just the data I input.

The individual records will be called from individual selections on a DHTML drop down menu system on the website. What should I use as the href? ( http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&view_records=1&index=* ) ??? or is there some alternate method.

The problem I can see is that when I goto list the records in the administration program I still need the next/previous page there to obviously go through the records myself.

Hope someone understand what I'm on about. Smile

Once this is working I will probably be switching over to DBmanSQL but need see if everything is possible first

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Formant] Records without headers or footers In reply to
You can easily modify the .cfg file to only show one record at a time by changing:

$db_max_hits = 1;

which will show one record at a time.

You can remove the display of what is seen on the output display for sub html_record in your html.pl file by making the modifications to

sub html_view_success

but be sure to leave &html_print_headers; in tact.

Try commenting out the other portions you don't want to see, such as to view the next page. Or if you only want admin to view this then enclose those portions in:

|;
if ($per_admin) { print qq| The codes you want admin to see goes here |;
print qq|

For your links if you want these to link to a specific record then I would suggest using a Record ID as your key field and then you can directly access each record by including the ID number within the link. For example if you are calling up record number 1:

cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&view_records=1&ID=1

You could also use a title field or any other reference that would be unique to a specific record. The page should load quicker using a relative url in your drop-down list.

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [Formant] Records without headers or footers In reply to
<edit>My post said almost the same thing as Lois's so I deleted this part</edit>

Check out LoisC's FAQ, (see any of her posts for the URL) and look under "viewing" or "displaying" for some ideas.

Last edited by:

Watts: Sep 12, 2002, 10:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Records without headers or footers In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I found that changing that footer subroutine all to per admin and adding a couple for Home and Log off works. Of course the footer should remain intact with logo and copyright unless purchasing. I'm just testing to see if my layout can be achieved beforehand.

Last edited by:

Formant: Sep 13, 2002, 2:26 AM