Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Concerning Keyword and external html display

Quote Reply
Concerning Keyword and external html display
1 - I had in mind offering my users the additional Keyword search-field to narrow down searches if the two other pull-down menus in the search-form output too many records.
I now realize that keyword search overrides input data in the other fields.

Is it possible to make them correspond, completing eachother the way I wish them to do (see above)?

2 - Can anyone tell me how to display records in an external html-document instead of within DB-Man?

3 - It is said that $rec{'keyword'} does transport search-data from form to form. But so does $rec{'keyword'}.

Is that on purpose (ikn other words, should that be so?).

/CSky

Quote Reply
Re: Concerning Keyword and external html display In reply to
1) You can create your own search form with the fields you want to include either in the html.pl file or in an external web page.

2) Use SSI...search the DBMAN forums for SSI and you will find a bunch of threads that discusses how to show records in "external" web pages.

3) That is correct...because keyword is not a column within the %db_def, thus you can not use the RECORD HASH codes for keyword, but you can use the input parameter of:

Code:

$in{'keyword'}

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot, part of it - I am not allowed to make SSI-calls for my IP.

I'll list my questions again, since there seems to be a misunderstanding:

Question 1 was about having Keyword search COMPLETING the other search-fields, not overriding them. Is it possible to make them work together, not against eachother?

The second question was NOT about having a search-form in HTML (I can manage that), but having an output in HTML (without SSI). I have an idea of letting others search my database from outside, (which wouldn't allow SSi-calls anyway), but I want them to have their own layout in a HTML-document taylored after their own needs...

Question three was well answered but entirely wrong put!

Here it is:

3 - It is said that $rec{'anything'} does transport the anything search-data from form to form.
But so does $in{'keyword'}.

Is that on purpose (in other words, should that be so?).

/Csky

Quote Reply
Uh...I think I have answered your questions quite accurately...One way of putting records in "static" web pages outside of DBMAN is SSI...IF you are NOT allowed SSI, then you can download CGI scripts from http://www.cgi-resources.com that emulates SSI without using SSI.

For your other questions...may be someone else can help you.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee