Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Pedigrees?

Quote Reply
Pedigrees?
Is it possible to have DBman create things like pedigrees from the entered data?

Let me elaborate a bit:
What I want to do is to enter information on a cat in the database, like name, breed and color. Then I want to have drop-down menus where I can select the father and the mother of the cat (which have already been entered in the database previously). When displaying the record, it shows the name, breed and color of both parents together with the cat's own record. And I would like a link at the bottom that takes the user to a complete four- or five-generation pedigree, which DBman constructs from the data it has on the cat, its parents, the parents' parents, and so on.

Since I don't know much about perl, I'd like to know if this kind of thing is possible at all without much programming, and if so, how it would work.
Quote Reply
Re: [alhena] Pedigrees? In reply to
Check the Resource Center for a modified version of DBMan for doing geneology. This can be modified to work with cats.

You can also search in the forum for "geneology" as I know there have been others who have done similiar modifications with DBMan.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Pedigrees? In reply to
Hi, thanks for your reply. I searched both the forum and the resource center for a genealogy mod, but I had no luck with the resource center and all links I found in the forum were dead. Is there some other place to get the mod?
Quote Reply
Check the FAQ noted below in the section "Mods", as I'm sure i have the updated url, unless it has changed again.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Pedigrees? In reply to
I've looked through the list twice, and even did a search on the site, but could find nothing related to genealogy. Either I'm really blind or the thing has mysteriously disappeared... Sorry to be bugging you, but could you please point me to the place where I can find it?
Quote Reply
I tried to help someone else with this a while back.

It sounds just like what you are asking.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=235625#235625

There is some code as txt files, hopefully you have some working knowledge of DBman in general and the relational MOD especially, or you will be lost.

As I recall the problem with using this approach is that you can build the tree as far backwards as you like, but you can't search the tree forward (find off-spring of a certain cat).

I would love to see someone followup on it, I really had no use for it, just a nice learning experience for me.

Feel free to ask me questions about it.
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] Pedigrees? In reply to
Hi, thanks for the link. I do have some knowledge of DBman in general (I installed it once for a different purpose already) but I have no clue about the relational MOD. Does this mean I first have to understand the relational MOD, and install it and get it running, and then the one you wrote? Or is it instead of the relational one? Hmm... *off to find out what this is about*
Quote Reply
This code would be instead of the relational MOD.

This code is just a very specific application of the relational MOD. If you needed to understand how it works, then read up about how the relational MOD works, its the same thing.

I have a working copy of this thing on one of my servers, if you want to see it work and add some records and stuff, PM me and I'll give you a link and a password.