Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

New field defs with existing db

Quote Reply
New field defs with existing db
I have read through post after post till I am almost blind so I figured I would post before I do go blind. I just added the file upload (single file) mod to an existing dbman database. I added the field defs to the end of the existing ones in the cfg fie hoping that it would not cause the record display to display info improperly. Everything works fine but when the db entry is displayed the info is in the wrong place. I believe this can be fixed by adding |||| to the end of each entry in the db file however with over 200 entries this would be very time consuming.

I read a couple of posts referencing a script that would do this for me but have not been able to find it as the poster didn't give any info as to the scripts name or where it could be found. The poster did say it was in the dbman resources, which I have searched through with no luck.

Can anyone help??
Quote Reply
Re: [lab99] New field defs with existing db In reply to
An addition to my origional post as I just discovered it. The jumbled info only seems to be showing up in the short display. I have viewed numerous full records by clicking on the short display link, even though the link doesn't say what it is supposed to, and the full record is displayed propperly. All the info is where it is supposed to be with the uploaded graphic at the bottom. Strange, if the short form is jumbled you would think the long form would be.
Quote Reply
I read about a free utility program at this post. I followed the link, it says it will do what you want to to, but I have not tried the script. Look for CSVdb.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=235184#235184
When faced with your situation, I do the following, download the .db file, open it in notepad, copy all, paste into a spreadsheet, parse into columns, add the columns as needed, copy all, paste back into notepad, search and replace to get the correct delimiter, make sure ther is NOT a new line and the end of the file, sent the .db file back to the server.

The only real problem is that if a User logs on and adds a record while I am editing ... so you disable log on while editing your .db file.

Last edited by:

joematt: Mar 17, 2003, 8:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: jumbbled records;

Perhaps the long record is Browser cached? Always refresh.

Smile