Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Is DBman The Right Tool For My Requirements?

Quote Reply
Is DBman The Right Tool For My Requirements?
Hi

Not 100% sure if this product is what I need for my needs, so here goes!

What I need:

1. 4 seperate login areas, once logged in it just shows a list of files that they can download.
2. An upload faciltiy.
3. Notification of who has logged in.

Would DBman be the right tool for my needs?

Hope someone can help! Smile

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [mumford] Is DBman The Right Tool For My Requirements? In reply to
anyone?
Quote Reply
How many users do you estimate would be using the system? How many files would be available for download?

The flat file version of dbman can handle a db up to about 1 mb in size. If you anticipate having thousands of users and/or files then the SQL version would be better suited for you (or maybe gossamer-links?).

Both versions are highly customizable. There are also lots of people who can modify the program for you, for pay.

You can set dbman so that users can view only their records (links to file downloads).

I'd suggest starting with the flat file version and add the the following mods:

Upload file/record
Notify Admin of New Users

See also www.redundantcartridge.com/dbman for the "unofficial FAQ" maintained by LoisC. There you will find tons of mods/hacks for dbman flat file. It just depends upon your comfort level with Perl and HTML.
Many of the dbman users had no prior Perl knowledge before modifying the script and have learned by a hands on method.

Last edited by:

Watts: Oct 1, 2007, 9:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Is DBman The Right Tool For My Requirements? In reply to
Hi

Thanks for the response. I will only really need 4 serparate login areas, 20-30 users?

The documents to download would mostly be PDF's cant really say at this moment how many though

Would FileMan suit my needs better?

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Fileman would work ok.

If you used dbman then each user would have a log in and you can add a mod that would assign them to a "group" (1 of the 4 login areas) and basically the "records" in the database would be links/urls to the pdf's.

Fileman could probably do the same thing "straight out of the box", but it I don't think you'd have as nice of a "front end". It would simply look like window's file manager/explorer. Check it out and see what you think...
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Is DBman The Right Tool For My Requirements? In reply to
Cool, thanks a lot for the repsonse.... I thought no one would answer this!

Last question, not sure if you could answer this, what would i charge for doing what I outlined earlier, I have no idea!

thanks watts
Quote Reply
You'd have to post a request in the forum called "custom modification jobs" - there's lots of qualified people who can give you quotes and prolly tell you which program would be better.

I personally don't do customized work b/c I'm more of a hack than a pro and I'm not able to offer support if anything should go wrong due to my work schedule.

Good Luck!