Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Grabbing info from the logged in users DB info

Quote Reply
Grabbing info from the logged in users DB info
Is there a good way of retrieving a specific fields value, of the currently logged in user. (in a way that doesnt slow down DB t o o much)

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Grabbing info from the logged in users DB info In reply to
Without more specific information it's hard to provide an answer, but you may want to check out this thread reference in the FAQ noted below under the section "Administration"

Display personalized welcome message

This enables you to enter the username on the homepage after someone logs in. Perhaps this will provide ideas or a solution to what you want to do?

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
Thanks. Yeah Im actually using that MOD at mom and it works great for retrieving the logged in users UID.

What I want to do is on every page be able to retrieve specific info from the logged in user, from any field in the DB.

For instance, display the logged in users [city], or [country] or ... whatever field.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Have you by any chance checked out the "Who's Online mod"?
I think this may provide what you are looking for.

Also under the "Admistration" section of the FAQ noted below there is a related thread called "Who's Online displayed on home page" which expands on the display of information for the mod.

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
Thanks.

Doesnt help all the way Im afraid.

# At this point, you can decide what you want to print out. If you have a database that
# has the userid as the key value, you can get the information from the database, using
# %rec = &get_record($username);
# and then print out whatever fields you want to appear on the page.

What do I need to get the get_record function to work? Will this feed %rec with the values from the specific record?

Can I then use $rec{'field'} to print out whatever fields value? ... cant get it to work....