Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Encountering DBMan DB Error

Quote Reply
Encountering DBMan DB Error
When ever somebody does not fill in a data field then hits submit it takes them to the add failure screen. After adding the missed information it requires them to add the record. When they hit the button It returns a db error.

When they fill in the information correctly and submitt the data it works as it should.

Any thoughts or comments.
Quote Reply
Re: [Doug Thorlakson] Encountering DBMan DB Error In reply to
If I'm reading your post correctly, everything is working as it should. What would you rather it did?

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] Encountering DBMan DB Error In reply to
In Reply To:
If I'm reading your post correctly, everything is working as it should. What would you rather it did?

I thought that my post may have been somewhat confusing.

No. When sombody fails to fill in all the required fields it kicks them to the error screen telling them not all the required information is filled in. When they fill in the missing data and then hit the add record button it returns with the usual dbman has encountered a db error please enable debugging etc.

But when all the data fields are filled in correctly the first time and they submit the information it does not return the usual db error.

Does that make it clearer.
Quote Reply
First thing I would check it to be sure in your .cfg file that the fields are numbered in order .. i.e. 0 = 0 (or whatever you have).

Then I would check to be sure that all the fields are included in your html add form as either visible or hidden fields.

It doesn't hurt to make the fields that are required with an * so people will know without a doubt what fields are required.

Can you provide your field list and the html add form for us to check out?

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Encountering DBMan DB Error In reply to
In Reply To:
First thing I would check it to be sure in your .cfg file that the fields are numbered in order .. i.e. 0 = 0 (or whatever you have).

Then I would check to be sure that all the fields are included in your html add form as either visible or hidden fields.

It doesn't hurt to make the fields that are required with an * so people will know without a doubt what fields are required.

Can you provide your field list and the html add form for us to check out?

Thank you

I'll have a look.

I have also been trying out the User-friendly html.pl. I will see if that solves the problem for me.
Quote Reply
I guess the thing I don't understand is "the usual db error." It's unclear whether the problem is that you're getting it sometimes or that you're not getting it other times. It's been so long since I've seen that error message that I don't know what the "etc." part is any more. :-)

If you're having a problem when corrections are made, then there is some sort of error in sub html_add_failure.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] Encountering DBMan DB Error In reply to
I know what you mean. It has been a while since I encountered that error message as well. It was the one line message that asks you to enable the debugging mode. Anyways I made the switch to the user-friendly.html and everything is working as it should. I have been using DBman for several years now and I guess I had not followed through on all the possibilities that would be encountered while using the script.

Thanks for your dedicated help with this script. I often go back to your JPdeni web site and use the configuator. Thanks for keeping that site active. Although there has'nt been much activity in the development of new mods for it.
Quote Reply
I'm glad you like the site and that it's of help to you. All of the mods that are on the site were made in response to questions here on the Gossamer Threads forum. Someone asked a question about how to do something, I responded and over time we worked out the bugs. Once I knew that it worked, I made up a page for it and put it on the website. In those days, there would be ten or twenty new posts in the forum every day. There's not so many these days and folks aren't asking for help in the same way.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual