Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

DBMan Features

Quote Reply
DBMan Features
I am currently using WebData on a site but am looking for other database options for another site. I'm trying to get a feel for what DBMan offers but it hasn't been easy. The website says it is "full-featured" but there is no list of features anywhere. Can someone fill me in or tell me where I can get a comprehensive list of features? Looking at the demo and other live sites using the script hasn't helped much. I'd like to see how the administration area works and know more about how customizable the search and search results pages are. Seems like there are a lot of "mods" available that might be cumbersome to sort through, it would be nice if the most popular/useful were included. How are these modules added? Can the search results include an image link to another "details" page? Is there online documentation somewhere? Thanks for any input...

Quote Reply
Re: DBMan Features In reply to
In Reply To:
Can someone fill me in or tell me where I can get a comprehensive list of features?
Out-of-the-box Features include:

* Users can add, modify, and delete records
* Multiple levels of permissions for users (including adding, modifying, deleting, viewing, and administrating)
* Search engine (via keywords or individual fields)

In Reply To:
Looking at the demo and other live sites using the script hasn't helped much.
Did you even try out the demo and the admin features?

In Reply To:
Seems like there are a lot of "mods" available that might be cumbersome to sort through, it would be nice if the most popular/useful were included.
Mods are add-ons and you have to add them to your script. Most of the popular Mods can be accessed in the Resource Center, which is linked from the Support area of this site.

In Reply To:
How are these modules added?
Most of them are added by coding, uploading, coding, and uploading some more. Some of the Mods (like the Configurator) allows you to set-up your database files and scripts.

In Reply To:
Can the search results include an image link to another "details" page?
Yep...there is a short/long display Mod and also a File Upload Mod for images.

In Reply To:
Is there online documentation somewhere?
FAQs in the Resource Center and reading the Threads in the forums. And also there is a nice site called DBMan-ual produced by JPDeni, the DBMAN Forum Moderator.

This can be accessed at:

http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/

BTW: This site is linked in the Resource Center.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: DBMan Features In reply to
Eliot answered most of your questions very well. I want to add that I have just been given access to the Resource Center and I plan to create some subcategories for the mods so they will be easier to find. (As soon as I get some time. Smile)

The real problem with listing features is that the script is so easy to customize that if a feature isn't standard, it almost assuredly can be added. If you'd like to list the features you need, I'm sure that we can tell you whether or not it's feasible. There have only been a few requests in the past couple of years that haven't been able to be worked out.

JPD