Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Combining Fields

Quote Reply
Combining Fields
Hi,
Me again! Thanks for all your help so far! I was just wondering if its possible to combine fields. When our users add a record they get 3 options with drop down menus, and when it comes it via email it looks like this: -
|01|02|03| (split with pipes)
Is there away to get it to come in like: -
|010203| (no pipes)
Regards
Many Thanks
Ben

Quote Reply
Re: Combining Fields In reply to
How are you inserting the values into the email?

- Mark

Astro-Boy!!
http://www.zip.com.au/~astroboy/
Quote Reply
In the html.pl, under the html_add_success routine I added a section that e-mails the results to me!

my (%rec) = &get_record($in{$db_key}); open (MAIL, "$mailprog") || &cgierr("Can't start mail program"); print MAIL "To: $admin_email\n"; print MAIL "From: $rec{'EMAIL'}\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $html_title\n\n"; foreach $col (@db_cols) { print MAIL "$col$rec{$col}|"; } close (MAIL);

Any help greatly appreciated!
Ben

Quote Reply
The pipe in red looks like the problem, try taking it out:

my (%rec) = &get_record($in{$db_key}); open (MAIL, "$mailprog") || &cgierr("Can't start mail program"); print MAIL "To: $admin_email\n"; print MAIL "From: $rec{'EMAIL'}\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $html_title\n\n"; foreach $col (@db_cols) { print MAIL "$col$rec{$col}|"; } close (MAIL);

Hope this helps,

- Mark

Astro-Boy!!
Quote Reply
OK thanks I'll give it a try! Will this remove all pipes from the database? I do need some of it split up! For example
|A|B|C|1234|1|
as opposed to
|A|B|C|1|2|3|4|1|
which is what I'm getting now! I need just the 1234 to be 'merged' so to speak and all the rest to be split with pipes!
Thanks for your help
Ben

Quote Reply
It will probobly remove the pipe from all records. In order to remove the pipe from just a few fields, you'll need a more complex "write to email" code.

- Mark

Astro-Boy!!
Quote Reply
Ah, ok thanks, thinking about it its probably in the last line of that code.
foreach $col (@db_cols) { print MAIL "$col$rec{$col}|"; } close (MAIL);
There must be a way to modify it so it sends some coloums split with a | and others not split. Or maybe there is a sub routine. Do you know where I might find something to this nature or somewhere which might help me write my own.
Thanks again
Ben

Quote Reply
OK,
I accually went out and got 2 books for this, 1 on perl, & 1 on cgis. I was looking at different form-mail scrips, and I was wondering is this world work...
Instead of

foreach $col (@db_cols) { print MAIL "$col$rec{$col}|"; } close (MAIL);

Use

print MAIL "$field1{'field1'}|"; "$field2{'field2'}|"; "$field3{'field3'}"; "$field4{'field4'}"; } close (MAIL);

This would give output like.....field1|field2|field3field4

I think, with | (pipe) between 1,2, and 3, but not between 3 & 4, is this correct? Or am I going off on a tangent here?
Anyway thanks for your help,
Ben