Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Can this be done with DBMan

Quote Reply
Can this be done with DBMan
Hi all,

I have not yet installed DBMan, I wanted to ask this question to see if at all what Im trying is possible.

I'm currently outlining a project which will enable users within my company to upload zip files along with a description to the website which will then be displayed for all to see (but not for all to download). What I need to do is be able to set a unique password for each file so only notified permitted end users can download it. Is there a mod around that can do this?. Basically the upload form would have fields like Title, Category, Description, Set Password and Browse for File to Upload.

Thanks for any advice.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: [Formant] Can this be done with DBMan In reply to
Yeah, that can be done... you would just generate the password behind the scenes when a new record was created (making the pw field admin only so the end uer doesn't even know it exists).

But are your permissioning by file or once permissioned, a user can download all files?
Quote Reply
Re: [oldmoney] Can this be done with DBMan In reply to
Hi,

Im looking to have individual passwords for each file. Its kind of an online database of firmwares for customers but anyone can view the file listing. Each customer is given their specific password in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [Formant] Can this be done with DBMan In reply to
In Reply To:
looking to have individual passwords for each file.

In Reply To:
Each customer is given their specific password in advance.

I just want to understand... so if I am a customer, do I need 18 passwords to download 18 files, or will my user specific password grant me access to all 18? The reason why I ask is that one is significantly easier than the other, but both are of course doable.
Quote Reply
Re: [oldmoney] Can this be done with DBMan In reply to
Theorectically 18 files would need 18 different passwords but customers would not normally need more than 1 or 2 files.