Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Alumni DB question

Quote Reply
Alumni DB question
Hi All,

I'm trying to create an Alumni DB so old friends could add their personal info such as name, email, description, etc (pretty basic fields). Here are some of the features I would like to include in the DB.
  1. Users must register and get an activation code via mail before adding records (something like this). The registered accounts could be deleted after a week to keep the DB size small and avoid spams.
  2. Anyone could view the records and a Alpha bar would be great to look up someone by lastname.
  3. I'm using links and visitors constantly searching for old friends so I would like to have the links search script search the DB for match as well.

I'm not familiar with all the great mods out there. I would appreciate any leads as to which mod will fit these requirements above or any helpful hints..

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [Huckle] Alumni DB question In reply to
Check out the FAQ (maintained by LoisC) at www.redundantcartridge.com/dbman (for a whole bunch of mods)

You'll want to install a generic (plain) copy of dbman (from gossamer-threads) and get it working first. Then set permissions to "view all records" and "mod/delete own record only" in the db.cfg file. (If you install the basic script you'll see what I mean).

Then add the mod for Admin Approval (see the FAQ) of users.

The Alpha bar would come from the "search" page which you can modify to contain only the fields you want.

The links search could be generated by links and printed out on the page. Say you had a link to deal with Brad Pitt then you have links print a URL such as (example only): http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi?view_records=1&last_name=Pitt and then you could say "Click Here to Search for Alumni - Pitt"

Last edited by:

Watts: Mar 7, 2007, 3:33 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Alumni DB question In reply to
Thanks for the info ..I give it a go.

Regards,
Huck