Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Add permissions to modify single record

Quote Reply
Add permissions to modify single record
Is there any way (perhaps using JPDeni's Add Permission mod) to accomplish the following:

Permit user "A" to add and modify records "X" and "Y";

and...

Allow user "B" to modify some but not all fields in record "X" (and only in X);

and...

Allow user "C" to modify some but not all fields in record "Y" (and only in Y).

I am so impressed with DBMan as it is, but if it can pull this stunt off, I will be awestruck.

-Rick
Quote Reply
Re: [rdavis] Add permissions to modify single record In reply to
If it is just 3 users and 2 records, then it could be hardcoded using if/them arguements.

If there are multiple (unlimited) instances of the arrangement you described, then ....

Off the top of my head I would say the most secure way to make sure only certain fields can be changed would be to put them in a separte databases, then use the relational mod to pull together the different databases.

If you want to go less secure, then you can have one database and just hide the fields you dont want certain users to edit (ie different edit forms for different users). But if they know what they are doing they could send a string and edit the hidden fields.

Just some thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] Add permissions to modify single record In reply to
Also check out the MOD regarding something about "another level of permissions" or something similar... Don't really remember what it's called, but it could potentially be hacked to suit your needs.
Quote Reply
Re: [rdavis] Add permissions to modify single record In reply to
Thanks very much. I'll try the relational mod.

-Rick