Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

user help file

Quote Reply
user help file
has anyone developed a user help file for dbman? What I'd like to do is add a menu item that calls the help file.

------------------
Thom
Quote Reply
Re: user help file In reply to
I have created a dbhelp.htm file and a FAQ page for each database I use.

I think a good idea to provide this so you can answer any questions the users may have for using your database.

I'm not sure if one canned faq or help file would be the same for any database though.

Basically you would just help them run through the various phases of signing up, adding, modifying, deleting, adding a graphic, what to put in the description, how to navigate, how to search, etc.

Also if you use the validation routine then you would explain how that works for your database.

Just think of everything that they would need to know how to do and provide a FAQ which lists questions and then provides the answers. This will save on support emails Smile

[This message has been edited by LoisC (edited March 31, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I was thinking about this myself and I have a question, Lois. When users click either the "Help" or "FAQ" link, do you open a new browser window? I would think that would be best so that users could get help while filling out the forms, without losing the form page. But is there a problem with using target="_new" or target="_blank" for visitors who have older browsers?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Carol,

If you use JavaScript to create a pop-up window, you should be alright with most browsers back to IE and NS 3.0 - if that is old enough for you?

Mike
Quote Reply
Personally, I detest Javascript. Smile

Also, I would like my site to be available even to those who use text-only browsers. (There are still some of those folks out there, you know.)

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Lois ... thanks ... the help files are very well done.

How do call them from the script? And, how do you get a return to the script without forcing the user to log on again.

Most of my users are like myself ... older folks who need a LOT of help files.

As far as the tet only browser folks, I attempt to accomodate them, and my access logs show a LOT of visits from folks who have older browsers.

Thanks to all for the response

------------------
Thom
Quote Reply
Yes, that is the question -- how to access the help and faq files. Opening a new window or (shudder!) using frames is the only way I can think of to do it.

But maybe Lois has some clever way that will save us all from this prospect. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Well I really have no special trick I use. I assume that people will read through the help/faq pages prior to using the database or my sites Smile

This is what I usually do when I first think about using a specific service .. find out all about it first.

I just provide the links either on a top or side menu. Within the database itself, I specify any specific requirements or notes when they are submitting a record.

I think it took me just about as long when I build up my auciton script to create my help lines within the script as it did to add all the mods to have it function they way I wanted it to Smile

The same may not be true for a database, but I try and think of all the questions new users would have assuming they know nothing at all about using a web form or databases.

I wouldn't consider using javascript, as I myself don't keep this feature turned on in my browser.

Also using HTML 3.2 standards for all my sites I also don't use target commands to open a new window. My HTML validation program would yell at me if I used those codes Smile

Even using frames (shudder) you will still need to provide a method for the duplicate pages for those who don't use frames.

I would say the best method would be to make it obvious to the users that there is a help/faq area and direct them there prior to using your database.

Then within your add record section you could include any special notes that they would need to properly add their record, such as:

1) Enter the URL of your photo: (Max. size 200 x 200 Max. 10K.)

2) Enter your title: (Max. characters 50)

3) Enter your description: (Max. characters 1000 .. No HTML)

This would then provide the information to those who do not wish to view the FAQ / Help pages.

I think the help pages haved saved more on the support time side of things. On your contact page if you have a form, they can first be directed to the help files to find answers, prior to having to ask for help or completing your support form.

My best suggestion is to make the link very visible to your users and hope they take the time to read through the instructions provided. Perhaps after they first signup/register you mention that by reading your help/faq they can then make the most of using your site.

FAQ / Help pages also provide the benefit of having static pages for search engines to index Smile

Hope this helps Smile
Quote Reply
I understand and agree with everything you said, Lois. I just don't think that people do read the Help things until they're in the midst of something. (My mother-in-law is very new to the 'net and I can't get her to read Help files. She insists on asking me. I read the Help files. Smile )

In the current database that I'm working on, some of the fields need quite a bit of explanation. Also, I know my likely audience and they are (mostly) people like my mother-in-law. Also, between the time of reading the help file and actually filling out the form, they will forget.

I know that my situation is not common. Most times the fields are pretty obvious and need no explanation. I may have to bite the bullet and use the target="_new" syntax. I just don't see any other way around it.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply

Quote:
target="_blank"

This also does not work in AOL 4.0.

Other window names without the underscore is more universally acceptable.

And another point about online
"help"...nothing beats the personal touch of being able to respond immediately to your visitors when they send an email message.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
How does one open a new window, then, which will be compatible with the AOL browser?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
target="new"

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
removed as content was misinterpreted.

[This message has been edited by LoisC (edited March 31, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Have you heard of customized auto-responders???

I guess not.

Wink

I was trying to provide some helpful advice, but as usually you have to contest my statements!

Wink

Geez!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Sigh .... lots of great points of frames and javascript pro and con, etc.

But no answer about how to create the link to the help file, nor how to setup a return to the script without having the user re-login.

------------------
Thom
Quote Reply
Here is what I have done in my site (which is for help before logging into DBMAN):

1) Add the following codes in the sub main routine in your db.cgi script admist the other elsif statements:

Code:
elsif ($in{'help'}) { if ($per_view) { &html_help; } else { &html_unauth; } }

2) Then create a sub-routine in your html.pl like the following:

Code:
sub html_help {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# Help Page

&html_print_headers;
print qq|
<html>
<head>
<title>$html_title: Help Page</title>
</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

|; &html_top_header; print qq|

<center>
<table border=0 bgcolor="#FFFFFF" cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0 width="80%" align=center valign=top>
<tr><td>
<strong><$font_title><A HREF="$db_script_link_url">$html_title</a> : Help Page</font></strong>
<P>
INSERT YOUR OWN TEXT
<P>
<CENTER><$font>
<B><a href=\"$ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}\">Back to Previous Page</a></B>
</CENTER></font>
</td></tr>
</table>
|; &html_footer; print qq|
</body>
</html>
|;
}

Where it says..."INSERT YOUR OWN TEXT"...insert your own text and html codes.

3) Then add the following codes in your sub html_footer routine in the html.pl file:

Code:
print qq!| <A HREF="$db_script_link_url&help=1">Post Job</A> ! if ($per_view);

BTW: These codes could be edited to allow only people who are logged in and have add permissions to view the help file.

For example...change if ($per_view) in Step One to if ($per_add). Then change if ($per_view) to if ($per_add) in Step Three.

BTW: As you can see...there is a link that will take users back to previous page.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 30, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Thank you, Eliot, for the information.

I would love to give 24/7 immediate support for all of the visitors to my site. However, mine is not a commercial site and it is run by one person. I am not online 24/7. Definitely a help file is in order.

Now back to Thom's question. There is no direct answer. A lot depends on what you want to do.

You can have the help file within your scripts, generated by DBMan. That way your users will be able to click a link on the page and will not have to log in again.

You can have a separate page that the user can go to, with instructions to use the "Back" button on their browsers to return to the previous page. Again, no re-login would be necessary.

Or you can use frames or a new browser window for the help file and the user can switch between them. Once again, no re-login would be necessary.

All of it depends on what you want to do.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Let me offer a fourth solution (if I count them correctly)... use a volatile cookie (e.g. expires with browser session, not wirtten to disk) to store the session ID and then modify the auth routines to check for the existence of the cookie if no session ID is passed in the URL... this would enable a user to go to a static HTML page on your site (or indeed any site) and when coming back to the DB not have to login again.

I am working on this and will hopefully post solution this weekend.

------------------
The Immuatable Order of Modding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. Read the FAQ, 2. Search the board, 2a. Search the board again, 3. ask the question, 4. back-up, 5. experiment, 6. rephrase question (or better yet, post solution to original question)

Quote Reply
Hi,

I don't know if this works but I found a geniuos javascript program which displays a dynamic help depending on what filed, html page you are just in ( Like on windows systems )
I don't know the name but you will find it at:
http://javascript.internet.com/

Bye
Quote Reply
Solution posted here... http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/002497.html

------------------
The Immuatable Order of Modding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1. Read the FAQ, 2. Search the board, 2a. Search the board again, 3. ask the question, 4. back-up, 5. experiment, 6. rephrase question (or better yet, post solution to original question)