Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Strange results with short/long mod

Quote Reply
Strange results with short/long mod
I installed the long/short mod. Works fine with the basic install. But once I try to modify the default.cfg and html strange things start to happen.

1. I modified the sub html_record_form but the changes don't show on the database.

2. When I modify the tables in sub html_record and sub html_record_form and alter the fields to match in the .cfg file. the short display stops working.

3. I want the database to display inside a table in the sub html_page_top but the database shows up below the table.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Sean

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Strange results with short/long mod In reply to
To make things easier in creating your HTML code to match your .cfg file you may want to consider using JPDeni's configurator.

http://www.jpdeni.com/cgi-bin/configurator/config.cgi?perms=1

This will make it much easier to be sure all your fields match in both your .cfg file and within your page coding.

3) I want the database to display inside a table in the sub html_page_top but the database shows up below the table.

Be sure that in sub html_page_top { you are starting the table. and then ending that table within sub html_page_bottom {

In order to see what's happening it would be very useful if you could post .txt versions of your files and provide the URLs so that they can be viewed (as text files).

If you do this, please include your html.pl, and .cfg files. rename to html.txt and cfg.txt or similiar Smile
Quote Reply
My thoughts on your problems:

1. Make sure that you have really replaced the file on your server. (I'm sure you have done it fine, but I've made this mistake more times than I'd like to admit.) However, this is the only reason I can think of that your changes wouldn't show up.

2. I'd have to see what changes you made to know why the short display stopped working. How did it stop working? Are you just getting the long display or do the links no longer work?

3. Lois answered that very well. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Lois and JPD,
Thanks for you help. I am just about there . Still not quite right on the table tags for the top and bottom.

Here is a domo of my problem
http://legalclarity.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi

http://legalclarity.com/html_pl.txt

Thanks

sean

------------------
Quote Reply
Okay you are missing the ending table tags in your footer.

Your footer should contain:

</TD></TR></TABLE></body></html>

this will close off the table which began in your header and your page should then display Smile

Just a suggestion, but I find it very useful to copy page coding from the html files into my text editor when formatting my page layouts, so that I play around with the formatting and test it in my browser.

It's much easier to make changes and view the results. Then once it's looking like I want it and the code is validated I then copy the final page layouts back into the html.pl files Smile

[This message has been edited by LoisC (edited March 21, 2000).]