Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Count users and email them

Quote Reply
Count users and email them
Hi,

I want to count the amount of users (they signed up for an account) and I wonder if there's an easy way to email them all?

Jan
Quote Reply
Re: Count users and email them In reply to
I don't know an easy or fast solution for "counting" users, but I did write a stand alone mass email script that works in conjunction with DBMAN.

You can download it at the following URL:

anthrotech.com/cgi/dbman/mods/mailer.txt

BE AWARE THAT THIS SCRIPT IS BETA and is in the process of being revised. But it works.

BTW: There are many threads that reference this script, so please use the Forum's search engine in the future.

Smile

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks for you help; I did try this script today, but I did get the message 'No username/emailaddress' found in ...
After verifying the user/mail-field (in default.cfg) I tryed to change the path to default.db (which is requested in mailer.cgi). It didn't help! I don't get why it have to know the default.db file, doesn't it send email to all adresses from the .pass file? Because that's what I want!

Jan
Quote Reply

Code:
$db_file_name = "default.pass";

2) For the $mailfield variable, put the following:

Code:
$mailfield = 7;

3) For the $userfield = ; variable, put the following:

Code:
$userfield = 1;

4) Change the following codes:

Code:
@data = split /\|/, $line;

to the following codes:

Code:
@data = split /:/, $line;

Hope this helps, Sire.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Dear Eliot,

I'm sooo sorry I didn't formulate it well; my English is not THAT good and 'That's what I want' means over here ehm something like ... well, 'that's my purpose' or something... I'm sorry for that!

When users take the default.db, every member which put a record in the database gets an email, right? The other people not? Beside that, I use the secure password lookup, but I don't have any emailadresses in my default.db...

Thanks for helping me!

Jan
Quote Reply
Dear Eliot,

it works now... I didn't know the directory in UNIX where my .pass file is located, but I changed the $db_script_path/$db_file in $db_file... It's in the same directory.

One bugfix: You use in your configuration the 'admin_mail' field, but in the mails that are send, the 'admin_Email' field is used...

Jan
Quote Reply
Thank you for pointing out that syntax error. I overlooked the sendmail routine. I corrected that in the mailer.txt file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------