Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

File browse option

Quote Reply
File browse option
Hi,

Has anyone attempted having a field that enables a user (adding to the db) to just browse for an existing file on the server in a set directory and what ever they select is the link for that field.

I will be running a database that has multiple records referring to 1 file download and it would be quicker to browse than remember the exact names of each file. There will be hundreds with complex filenames made up partially from serial numbers.

Thanks for any help

Andy

Quote Reply
Re: File browse option In reply to
File Upload Mod

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Are you planning on storing the filename within your database as a field? If so, I think what you might want to setup is a self maintaining drop down menu.

Please check the FAQ noted below under the section "Fields" and check out among others the following:

Dropdown generated on the fly
Self maintaining drop down
Dynamic drop down list (from .txt file)
Jump-to Drop Menu

Let us know if this will work for what you want to do.
I'm thinking you could also perhaps list the files in an external .txt file and have that used as your menu.

Hope this provides some ideas

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
Thanks,

Yes I will have to use this upload mod to allow the various authors to get the files onto the server without my assistance. I've already integrated this for this purpose.

Andy

Quote Reply
Yes I will need to store the filenames in the field so it can be associated with the range of serial numbers linked to it.

I had a look at the faq and thanks for pointing out those specific items for me to look at, I'll check those out today.

There is great support here btw, I shall definately buy this script after tryout if I manage to get it to do what I want. I think Im 95% there and this is the only thing left, apart from prettying it all up :)

Andy

Quote Reply
Ok im stuck, I see that I have to use the "file upload" MOD and I think the "Building Fields from other databases" mod from the unofficial faq.

Problem(s)
----------
(1). I cant get the "Building Fields from other databases" mod to work at all, it doesnt seem as clearly explained as the file upload one.
(2). When I upload a file to the file database, instead of the file being called test.zip its called 1.zip, 2.zip etc.

Heres what I'm trying to do
---------------------------
Basically create 2 database's. A fileupload database and the Main database containing all the other information which pulls in the filename from the file database as a link.

Here is a graphical example of what im trying to achieve
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.btinternet.com/~adsr/question.html

Can anyone help me through this or better layout the "Building Fields from other databases" Mod?

Many thanks, great script and great support.

Andy