Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Auto Reply by DBMan question...

Quote Reply
Auto Reply by DBMan question...
Since I have received some great help with my present Database, it is off to a great success with the Human Resources department (we are using it to post and maintain all the current job listings available to the public). Now, we had a second idea for this database, which seems to be pretty straight forward, and I believe I should be able to handle it without too much trouble (Lauren, I hope you're reading this, cause I just might need ya again, though Smile ).

The idea is for an online resume bank, where people out there can log on to our site, post a generalized resume using the DBMan form, and we will be able to match these resumes up with jobs that open up at a later time. My question here is two fold...

1) How would I go about setting up an auto emailer that when the visitor has finished posting his/her resume, they would receive an email thanking them for submitting it, visiting our site, reply if they have questions, and so forth? (And yes, one of the fields in the resume form would be for their email address) If they do not have an email address (for instance they used the computer at the local library or such), set up DBMan so that it would email the HR person in charge of the database, giving them the person's name and postal address so that we can do a snail mail version of the email?

and 2) Later on, when the HR DBMan admin person does a search through the database to find matches for a job that opened up, if there is a match (or several matches), I would like to offer the admin the ability to check a box next to each match (like you do when you want to delete a record) so that they can then hit a button that would fire off another pre-made email. That email would inform the applicant that their name was matched up with a job, if they are still interested....and so on. I figure I can make a premade search so that it will sort between the matches with and without emails.

Let me know if this is possible, I would love to try it out. Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Auto Reply by DBMan question... In reply to
1) You can set up a routine in sub html_add_success to send an email using sendmail. It's really pretty easy to do.

First, define your path to sendmail and the email address of the person "sending" the email. I like to put them in the .cfg file.

$mailprog = "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -t";
(or whatever path to sendmail is on your system)

$admin_email = "you\@server.com";
(be sure to put the \ before the @)

Then, in html_add_success, instead of

&html_record(&get_record($in{$db_key}));

use

%rec=&get_record($in{$db_key});
&html_record(%rec);

after the above lines, add:

Code:
if ($rec{'email'}) {
open (MAIL, "$mailprog") or &cgierr("Can't start mail program");
print MAIL "To: $in{'email'}\n";
print MAIL "From: $admin_email\n";
print MAIL "Subject: Welcome\n\n";
print MAIL "-" x 75 . "\n\n";

print MAIL "[whatever you want to say. You can use the $rec{'FieldName'} variables if you want]\n";
close MAIL;
}
else {
open (MAIL, "$mailprog") or &cgierr("Can't start mail program");
print MAIL "To: $admin_email\n";
print MAIL "From: $admin_email\n";
print MAIL "Subject: Send info\n\n";
print MAIL "-" x 75 . "\n\n";

print MAIL "[use the $rec{'FieldName'} variables for address to send the info and other stuff]\n";
close MAIL;
}

2) Is a little more complicated and will require a separate subroutine in the db.cgi script to accomplish. I'll be glad to help, but it's something that will have to evolve over a bit of time.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Re: [CyberRatt] Auto Reply by DBMan question... In reply to
Hi,

I am doing a website (pro bono) for a non-profit orgranization. They would like to have a resume/job bank on their site. The employeers should be able to post job openings and be able view and search the resume database. Applicants should be post their resumes and be able to view and search the jobs database. From what I read, your script might be doing exactly that. Do you know of a similiar script that is free for use (or would it be possible for me to get your script from you). I am looking for a free script because this site that I am doing is pro bono and the folks that I am doing for is a small non-profit public welfare organization.

Thanks and with kind regards

Irfan

http://www.irfanafzal.com

Web development done right!
Quote Reply
Re: [iafzal] Auto Reply by DBMan question... In reply to
The dbman script is ideal for this application, straight "out of the box".

As a developer, you should have no difficulty customising the html.pl to provide exactly what you need.

If you need email acknowledgements to be sent to admin and submitter, then there is a Mod in the mods section of this forum site (submitted by me).

IMHO it is possibly no real help to use someone else's script because it is inevitable that you will need to make changes. This can be just as difficult as doing your own from scratch. Creating your own also ensures that debugging is easier since you will be familiar with the basic dbman script.

Best of luck with the project. The forum is always willing to assist as you go. Sly
-------------
David Olley
Anglo & Foreign International Limited,
http://www.firehelmets.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Quote Reply
Re: [iafzal] Auto Reply by DBMan question... In reply to
There have been various applications made for doing a job and resume database.

I would suggest visiting the DBMan FAQ noted below and searching for "jobs" and "resumes" to see what thread references are posted there. Once you find someone who has worked on that type of database you can search the forum either by that username and read all related threads for tips and tricks for creating your database.

Someone also posted a solution for question #2 above for their job board, but at this time I don't have the specific url to provide.

Your best bet would be to first visit the DBMan Tutorial at http://jpdeni.com/dbman. if you are new to DBMan and then visit the FAQ which provides many tips and tricks to help you customize the script.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/