Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Hosting :

can't send mail using client

Quote Reply
can't send mail using client
I don't know what's happened, but I went to try to send an email with Outlook Express and I get this error:

Quote:
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'fuzzylogic@perlmad.net', Server: 'mail.perlmad.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I can send mail just fine from GPanel, and have no trouble recieving mail with Outlook.

Any clue what's going on here?

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] can't send mail using client In reply to
It's not just your ISP being slow, and causing a timeout? I've had that a few times before... even in a 1/2Mb per second connection :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] can't send mail using client In reply to
i am on dialup but that doesn't seem to be the problem, seeing as I have no trouble receiving mail. I have tried increasing the timeout in Outlook to 2 minutes but it makes no difference, because the connection stops at about 15 to 30 seconds, without even partly sending the email.

I also tested that possibility by changing the SMTP server. What I observed was that it connects and sends, and then gets rejected (like it should since I don't have an account with them).

Hm... can't wait til the cable company gets my house wired... got another week :-(

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Mmm.. do you have the extra security stuff set? (i.e log in before sending an email ... not sure exactly what its called). I just remember having a problem like this myself; and all I needed to do was tick a box, which made it check my emails first; before sending.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] can't send mail using client In reply to
I never needed any of the security settings checked when it was working though.

come to think of it, the last time I successfully sent an email through Outlook Express was back in April, when I was moving from perlmad.com to perlmad.net. my first though now is that I misconfigured some DNS settings... but if that were the case shouldn't that effect sending mail from the email app in GPanel?

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Quote:
but if that were the case shouldn't that effect sending mail from the email app in GPanel?

Possibly ... but GPanel is pretty good at sending emails through the Webmail feature. When I was having my problems; the only way I *could* access the emails, was through mail.ultranerds.com (or in your case, mail.perlmad.net).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

That error means you are having trouble getting to the mail server. Have a look through:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Maybe it's the new windows xp service pack with the firewall turned on blocking outgoing mail? From the command prompt, type:

telnet mail.permad.net 25

Does that connect to the mail server ok?

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] can't send mail using client In reply to
Quote:
Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed

I can rule out Service Pack 2, as I couldn't bare to try to download that on dialup Unimpressed

One posibility might be the dialer I use for my ISP. You can't access the standard options including the builtin XP firewall so it might be turned on by default. I'll have to see if I can use the standard dialup wizard for this connection and see if that clears it up.

I've checked my Trend Micro stuff and the firewall options are turned off there. It's set to only scan incoming mail.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Hi,

It sounds like your ISP you are using requires you to use their smtp server. Try:

telnet mail.perlmad.net 110

and see if you can connect to the pop server. If so, it's definitely something firewall related or something with your ISP.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] can't send mail using client In reply to
yeah, I was reading through my ISP's email FAQ's and turns they force you to use their SMTP server and use your dialup login in the authentication section. sheesh.

can't wait til Charter comes out and installs my cable line.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you want, we can put a firewall rule to route port 2500 traffic to port 25. That way you can still use your smtp server, just update your mail client to use port 2500.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.