Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Hosting :

Excellent Hosting!

Quote Reply
Excellent Hosting!
I recently moved host and signed up with Gossamer Hosting and the differance to my website is amazing. Not only is it excellent hosting, fast servers but also Jack and the others have been perfect and help me out with everything.

The move from old to new gossamer server went without a single problem and they did everything I asked them to very quickly!

Thanks again for excellent service and great hosting!

B
Quote Reply
Re: [demon] Excellent Hosting! In reply to
Isnt this too costly ? I want to try but 75$ per month for a shared 200MB space is 20 times of what I am paying for 200MB at another host. No hard feelings against gossammer, it may be worth, but can u highlight the points ?
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] Excellent Hosting! In reply to
See www.gossamerhost.com for more information.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Our shared hosting is aimed at people who want to run our scripts. We limit the servers to 15 accounts per machine, and provide each user with a mod_perl server if required. This ensures you get a very fast and responsive site. You won't find too many places that provide a managed mod_perl setup like we do (where you have your own proxied mod_perl server that you can start/stop, and that is monitored and managed).

That's the main thrust, it's aimed at people who have demanding applications, but aren't yet ready for a dedicated server.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Excellent Hosting! In reply to
Totally agree on that one Alex :)

I just put a friend of mine on our server, and he was with globat.com (or something). He couldn't beleive how fast it was reacting. We have over 40 sites on our server, and its still nice and fast :)

I guess its all down to "you get what you pay for".

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply

Quote:
I want to try but 75$ per month for a shared 200MB space is 20 times of what I am paying for 200MB at another host. No hard feelings against gossammer, it may be worth, but can u highlight the points ?

You could get a 70$/mo dedicated server deal at 15minuteservers (left on your own) or a sub 200$ deal for a RAID1 dual cpu m/c +500GB traffic/Mo Managed Deal with 24X7 ICQ/YM Support ... all loaded with cPanel/Directadmin control panels. At least in the latter case they are always online on ICQ/YM/AIM and pretty quick to respond to.... and most of the time they never treat the knowledge they have as Voodoooo.... always willing to guide and educate even if you would want to take it up yourself, assuring that they are there if anything goes haywire ... GT prices are pretty close to Rackspace.com where they quote 350$/Mo for Option One m/c...

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Sep 7, 2004, 5:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Excellent Hosting! In reply to
Hi Anup,

Ah, but if you were hosting with us, you wouldn't be having your mod_perl problems. =) Our servers come pre-configured with mod_perl installed and setup properly as a monitored and managed back end server.

A lot of what you are paying for is the management aspect. I've been on many a cheap dedicated server and the number of security holes and unpatched software on there is ridiculous. We've had more then one person switch to us after being hacked. A lot of people think that because they are not on a Windows server, they are safe from hackers. Not so. There have been recent security vulnerabilities in PHP, SSH, OpenSSL, Linux Kernel and much more.

The term "managed" is thrown around a lot on dedicated server. There is a wide range of level of service and quality of service. For us, when we say managed servers, that means you get:

* active hardware monitoring - all hardware is monitored and drives are checked to see if they are about to fail, and pre-emptively swapped out.
* service level software monitoring - not only do we check that your server is responding, we check each service on the server to make sure it's working properly - MySQL, Apache, Qmail, etc. Many places just ping your server to see if it's responsive and call that managed. We actually try and connect to all the services to make sure it's responsive. Anything that isn't is automatically restarted and a tech notified.
* security updates - we handle all security updates from upgrading the linux kernel, to upgrading php.
* software updates - we keep you up to date and regularly upgrade the software.
* backups - we provide 7 days of incremental backups that you can access yourself. Accidently remove a directory? You can restore it from the included FileMan or from shell using the restore command. You can pick which version you want to restore as well. We also provide a mirrored drive, so if your drive does completely fail and is not recoverable, we can swap the mirrored drive and have you back up and running quickly. We're also rolling out off-site backups this month, so you can have your server on the west coast, and your backup on the east coast.
* single point of support - if you are using our software, you can have a single point of support. If there's a problem, we'll get it fixed. There won't be any delays while we have to talk to a hosting provider, or argue back and forth trying to convince them what the problem is.
* mod_perl - no other provider I've seen provides an out of the box mod_perl solution. Many claim to, but just add mod_perl to the main apache, a solution that is not scalable, secure or reliable. Our setup allows you to safely do virtual hosting with mod_perl support as each user can run their own mod_perl server without affecting anybody else.
* optimized servers - many ISP's put on a desktop version of linux like RedHat and a hosting control panel and call it a server. Our hosting platform is optimized as a server and built from the ground up to only include what is required.

These are just a few of the main points to what makes up quality managed hosting.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Alex: Sep 8, 2004, 9:58 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
I've been on many a cheap dedicated server and the number of security holes and unpatched software on there is ridiculous.

Totally agree. The number of people who've come to me crying because they went with < $10/month hosting is quite staggering Unimpressed

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi.

Anup is my boss who left forum sometime back for some reasons not known to me but entrusted me with sharing of certain of his headaches. If It's IP that's being tracked, there are 300 clients being served thru same IP =) and many a times the guy doesn't pass http_x_forwarded thru his squid :=)

*mod_perl : It's no voodoo... it would be sorted out within this week .. it's just that i prefer to avoid recurring $$$ bleeding by going thru that learning curve. front end back end mod_proxy is ready and ironing out would be completed :=) if wecannot do it on our own support is ready as standby for free :=)

*Security : cpanel has built in security notifications, the service provider sends regular notifications and are more than happy to *do_it_for_you* type of service all in 170$/Mo if i prefer to. We still do it on our own except for the kernel upgrades which they do without delays :=) linux Enviro security, apf, bfd and regular updates to that are all a part of *Managed Service* that they provide.

*Service Monitoring : All that is too common and is now builtin in many control panels... And if anything fails to restart, NOC guys move in and correct it ... or else they would have to pay me something as penalty from the meagre 170$/Mo that they take for a dual cpu/2GB RAM/RAID1/500GB./Mo traffic ... It's part of their openly published SLA... And what's best is that they are always available as standby in case we would do it on our own and mess it up somewhere...

*Online 24X7 Support : It's really pleasant to see support guys respond on ICQ/YM/AIM instantaneously. There has hardly been any need to post tickets for support issues...

In 350$/Mo i could have two servers with one ready as hot standby in case the first one fails and still save 10$/Mo :=)

170$ Managed Deal is not bad at all... at least when there have been no reasons to complain and repsonse time is <10 minutes for any support issue which they are requested to handle :=)

Does LSQL Search Clone AltaVista Styled Search. I found it failing on Andy's site :=)

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Excellent Hosting! In reply to
Hey Andy.

Can't figure out exactly, but read it somewhere that you have 40 clients on your server with GT. Not comparing, but without that front end backend stuff operational, we have completed 100 clients today. And that includes Tomcat 5.028 (that's the latest available) hosting accounts too. That's a hog for servers but still going sound and safe. It feels happy when i save 300$/mo on server alone with no lost client :=)

Not to mention that we are using FDSE on a 2GB content portal (legal judgments from supreme court) and it completes in under 6 seconds and i don't get caselaws with muderer if i am searching for murder :=)

I think on speed front we are running pretty close to GT's servers speeds :=)
It's just that hosts do not install compression stuff and so the sites seem slow in general...

HyTC
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm happy to hear you are comfortable with your setup. Our experience in installing our applications on other people servers for the last 10 years hs been that you will generally get bargain basement servers and service for bargain basement price.

In any event, the purpose of this forum is for questions about our hosting service, not to advertise others. There are many places on the internet for that.

If you have any questions about our services, please don't hesitate to ask. But if you are reviving 3 month old threads just to advertise, please take it somewhere else.

Thanks,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Can't figure out exactly, but read it somewhere that you have 40 clients on your server with GT.

Nearer 100 now :p (possibly more... I havn't bothered counting).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
and many a times the guy doesn't pass http_x_forwarded thru his squid

Can't blame him.... it sounds rather painful! Tongue

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [demon] Excellent Hosting! In reply to
Any comments on downloading the Forum software to run on the server with my current website host, but later moving the forum to a Gossamer server (but not move my website)? I would like to simplify the forum start-up, but if I find my current website host can't muscle the forum traffic, I would like to have options. However, there are some complications to my website that I would rather not establish again with a new webhost.
Quote Reply
Re: [inboxcom] Excellent Hosting! In reply to
Hi,

Yes, you can definitely start with the forum somewhere else, and then move it when needed. All our servers include free transfer, so we can handle the move for you (it's not too difficult and can be done with little downtime).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.