Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

s-l-o-o-o-o-w forum

Quote Reply
s-l-o-o-o-o-w forum
I have not found that WWWThreads is any faster than UBB was. I don't know the cause of it, but, especially in the afternoons I often wait a couple of minutes for a page to load. I timed one today and, aside from the actual answering of the question, it took a total of 10 minutes to get the post entered.

Things seem to be somewhat better at night, which is why I've decided to only come to the forum in the late night/early morning hours.

Am I alone in this?

JPD
Quote Reply
Re: s-l-o-o-o-o-w forum In reply to
It was bad this afternoon, but I don't think it had anything to do with the software, unless upgrades/changes were being made.

I had crappy connection to a lot of sites today. I think the Internet needed to be rebooted or something :-)

--Mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
I suppose that's possible, but I've found that the afternoons are really bad most days. Today was just the last straw! Smile And I didn't have problems when I went to other places on the 'net.

JPD
Quote Reply
Dunno then. For the most part, i've found this forum hauls. :-)

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
I've done some sequential pings, and have forwarded them to Alex before, and again today.

It looked like there was network problems close to their end today.

If you are curious, this afternoon's plot is at:

http://www.postcards.com/...t_trace_05_23_00.jpg

from my site to theirs.

For once it wasn't my local network <G> Bellatlantic has some bad router problems at the NY core/iconnet/uunet border routers regularly.

If you look, the pings got longer the further away they went. It looks like there is still some problem with routing or load balancing at the GT's ISP's end.

(None of this is an exact science, and a back-trace is really more useful for "display" speed than a forward trace or ping).

Quote Reply
Very interesting. Thank you.

Things are sure speeding along now in the wee hours of the morning. I like this. Smile

JPD
Quote Reply
Yes, it seems to be a connectivity problem (we are on a new network in a new data center) not a forum problem (as load on the machine never bumps over 0.1), and the forum always responds quickly here. I'm looking into what we can do to eliminate the bottleneck.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I have exactly the same experience as JP. The forum is a major snoozer during the day, but the wee hours of the morn' seem better. The afternoons are impossible.

Quote Reply
In my experience, this looks like it's the server, or the connection to the server. I've noticed that all of the pages at gossamer-threads.com are loading slow at times, not just the forum.

Quote Reply
I think it's the last 1 or two routers/switches/connections to the server. Basically, it's within the GT's ISP's network. It's probably not the server. Something is bad on the way in (or out) of the server.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/