Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

community plug in

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MS Passport worries In reply to
Quote:
AOL is an ISP. Yahoo also offer hundreds of paid services from hosting to investments to online stores.
None of them means they store very sensitive data, like credit card number. Those services may ask credit card number but not stored and passed to the market store as the Wallet service did in MS Passport service.

Quote:
I wouldn't say Yahoo and AOL are small :)
I never said they are small. They are not so much users than MS, and as I know none of them provide Wallet service, what stores credit card number & pass to another website...

BTW: you simply can't accept, that not your word to be the last word, right? Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Feb 2, 2003, 5:09 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] MS Passport worries In reply to
Quote:
None of them means they store very sensitive data, like credit card number.

Of course they do - how do you think AOL bill their customers?

Quote:
BTW: you simply can't accept, that not your word to be the last word, right?

Sorry, I don't understand your logic - I thought we were just having a conversation. I didn't think it was a question of having the last word.

Generally a conversation means that one perosn replies to another Crazy
Quote Reply
Quote:
Of course they do - how do you think AOL bill their customers?
Again, I don't think credit cards are stored in online database at AOL.
Billing database and online database is different things...

IMHO, billing is done through the financial department of AOL, which has separate offline database. I don't think AOL would be so silly to put sensitive credit card data of their customers into an online database...

Quote:
Generally a conversation means that one perosn replies to another
Yeah, but as stated several times, I wanted to stop that discussion because if you & me do any conversation it will be a neverending story, because it seems we can never aggree in any subject Wink
It seems you are always have an opposite opinion about things I say... Tongue Interesting.
Did you ever aggreed me in any subject?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Quote:
IMHO, billing is done through the financial department of AOL, which has separate offline database. I don't think AOL would be so silly to put sensitive credit card data of their customers into an online database...

You can update your billing information online and review account details so there must be some sort of online database.

Quote:
Yeah, but as stated several times, I wanted to stop that discussion because if you & me do any conversation it will be a neverending story, because it seems we can never aggree in any subject
It seems you are always have an opposite opinion about things I say... Interesting.
Did you ever aggreed me in any subject?

Whether we agree or not doesn't matter. As long as we can have a sensible discussion then surely that's all that matters?

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 2, 2003, 6:18 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
You can update your billing information online and review account details so there must be some sort of online database.
Update & review means, that you log in to your AOL account and you can see your credit card data and other sensible info?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Well for example when your credit card expires you can update it online using your AOL account.

I use paypal and they also do the same. I can see my bank account number and credit card number using Paypal.

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 2, 2003, 6:43 AM
Quote Reply
Ok, I understand for Paypal. But when you do update at AOL, do you see the card data?
But really that does not matter & I don't bother about them.

I don't worry if I pass my credit card data to some small, medium, or even big companies, if:
1) the company is known as a trustable company
2) I choose when & how do I give them the sensitive data
3) I have the chance to choose from several of them.
4) it is not a company like MS, who stores these sensitive data (who may be even able to control almost all personal computers of the world).

BTW: If I want to protect my credit card or bank account then I don't keep too much money on it, if I know that I will use it for online purchase. Unfortunately not all people think like me, and they trust blindly these giant companies...

I don't trust MS, because:
1) MS seems to want to own the whole world... MS never seemed to be correct in the business world (imagine the antitrust trial, the MS IE vs Netscape war, stealing ideas from Apple, etc.).
2) MS systems showed several times, that it's not the safest system on the world...
3) MS Passport & Wallet service seemed to point into the direction, that after a time, all people will have to use an MS Passport to access any service, including foreign websites which are not related to MS company.
Just check the list of websites which accepts MS Passport: http://www.passport.net/Directory/Default.asp
And this is just the beginning. I could see that evolving that almost all commercial websites would require to use MS Passport & Wallet...

What you are talking is not the same what MS Passport was able to do using Wallet service. Wallet service passed all profile data (including credit card data) to the merchant. Nor AOL, nor Paypal does this.
Otherwise what we are talking about, seems no longer valid thing, since MS will stop the Wallet service in middle of 2003...

BTW: Passport creation wizard was already implemented into Windows XP. Isn't that interesting? Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
It seems you are always have an opposite opinion about things I say... Tongue
That's just the way forum conversations usually work.

Generally, it's a little pointless to have dozens of replies saying "I agree" as it doesn't lead the thread anywhere.

However, someone saying "I don't agree" and giving reasons, furthers the discussion. It doesn't (usually) mean that someone dislikes you, or is being deliberately contrary.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] Personal thoughts... In reply to
Quote:
Generally, it's a little pointless to have dozens of replies saying "I agree" as it doesn't lead the thread anywhere.
No. It is not true for development subjects. The original subject was "community plug in", which is an under development product...
Saying "I aggree" says for the developers that there is demand for a feature. Also "I don't aggree" shows for developers, that some people not need that feature... Developers will decide if they will implement a feature or not.

My note was that is interesting that Paul is always opposed to me. I don't remember a case when he aggreed anything what I told. Wink
However being offtopic, let we stop the discussion about that. It was just a note, and does not worth several posts...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Feb 2, 2003, 9:47 AM
Quote Reply
Its AOL-Time-WinkWarner

.:SEAWEAD:.
> >