Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

What is considered commercial use?

Quote Reply
What is considered commercial use?
I searched for this in the forums but didn't find an official answer.

What are the guidelines for whether a site is considered to be commercial (and therefore need to pay for a licence)?

Do you actually have to be directly selling a product to be classed as a commercial site, or would displaying affiliate banners and links also count? I mean banners you place yourself and (hopefully) get paid for, not ones that directly pay for hosting.

Is there a certain amount of leeway for startup sites that are planning to make money but haven't grown enough for that to happen yet?

Quote Reply
Re: What is considered commercial use? In reply to
Is your organization a charity? If not, then you'll probably need a license, but you'd have to confirm this with the staff at GT Smile

Quote Reply
hola,

i've got 3 questions reagarding GT product licenses... i can't get any answer by searching in the forum & faq... i need these info because i'm planning either to recommend or (better) to sell GT products within my freelance web advices...

as written in README.txt:

"Commercial use must register the script for a one time fee..."

Q1: Are websites like http://www.axo.it (institutional website for a sport company) and http://www.hobnob.it (institutional website for a image & desing company) subject to the one time fee?

"Selling the code for this program, or a program derived from Links, without prior written consent is expressly forbidden. Similarly, redistributing this program, or a program derived from Links, over the Internet, CD-Rom or any other medium is expressly forbidden without prior written consent."

Q2: Due to commercial issues i'd prefer to sell an all-in-one solution to my clients, instead of an installing/modify fee; something like idea-design-html/perl that in mostly cases would be a modified version of GT Links2 close to their requests... so... am i proper to obtain the written consent from GT to sell the code? am i proper to obtain the written consent for all the great mods performed out there?

Q3: how can i obtain the consent??? should i write to alex privately?

thank you very much,

chico Smile

PS
sorry for my english!!!

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Q1: Are websites like http://www.axo.it (institutional website for a sport company) and http://www.hobnob.it (institutional website for a image & desing company) subject to the one time fee?
Company IMHO denotes commercial, which means that you would have to register two copies of the program for each company.

In Reply To:
Q2: Due to commercial issues i'd prefer to sell an all-in-one solution to my clients, instead of an installing/modify fee; something like idea-design-html/perl that in mostly cases would be a modified version of GT Links2 close to their requests... so... am i proper to obtain the written consent from GT to sell the code? am i proper to obtain the written consent for all the great mods performed out there?
I believe that this agreement means that if you use the program and re-sell to others, then you have to obtain permission to do that. If your intention is simply to install and customize the program for your client, then your client has to purchase a license for the program.

In Reply To:
Q3: how can i obtain the consent??? should i write to alex privately?
Again...if you plan on re-selling the program as your own, then you need to obtain written permission from GT.

But...the final answer should come from GT and/or Alex. I would recommend sending an email or filling out the Contact Form in this web site to make double sure about the responses I've given you so far.

Regards.

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
hola,

don't you think there is a difference between commercial use and a company that use the program for its (individual use?!?!?) institutional site? i don't know... i'm a bit confused... thinking about wysardry words (first post) and the lack of an authoritative answer... hope for a final explanation from Alex in order to make clear the differences between commercial use and non-profit or individual use...

bye,

chico

Quote Reply
Hi!

For our shareware scripts, you must purchase a license if:

The script is being used by a for-profit company

or:

You wish to remove the link to Gossamer Threads from the script

This means non-profits or individuals who keep the link to our site may use the script for free.

If you are interested in re-selling the products, do drop us an email at info@gossamer-threads.com.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
thx Wink