Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

WWWThreads and Opera 4.0

Quote Reply
WWWThreads and Opera 4.0
Have you seen what this forum looks like in Opera 4.0? Crazy It doesn't seem to inherit table widths correctly.

Martin Webster
--
Cebidae's UK Internet Resource
http://www.cebidae.co.uk/
Quote Reply
Re: WWWThreads and Opera 4.0 In reply to
Actually, I was just playing with Opera last night and was very disapointed with how the site turned out. Ugh.

If anyone has used Opera and can help me fix this, I'd be very appreciative. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

The problem is that Opera 4.0 (and earlier versions) does not support CSS and also DHTML. I noticed that my DHTML menu (utilizing CSS) does not appear in Opera 4.0.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Opera supports CSS1 and CSS2 standards. I know CSS1 was available in 3.6 (buggy, but way better than Netscape)...I think they just added CSS2 to 4.0. Your DHTML events don't work because they only have support for the W3C DOM (just like NS6/Gecko). All those events that depend on IE or NS proprietary codes (in other words, nearly all of them), will fail. You can tell by looking to see if your event has a document.getElementById branch (IE uses document.all, NS uses document.layers--you need all three to cover all browsers now, isn't this fun?). If you don't see getElementById anywhere, you get zilch from W3C compliant browsers.

Alex, I've noticed that Opera takes percentage widths very literally. For instance, I note that the forum header (discussion, thread views, and the buttons) are all given 33% widths. NS and IE will dynamically resize them and allow the buttons to be on one line, Opera will not and puts breaks between the buttons to keep the cells at 33%.

It also seems to be important for the total of the cell widths to equal the table width. For example, if you have three cells at 33%, so your table should be 99%. You have it set to 95%. I think Opera will override your table attribute in favor of the cell attributes (in other words, it always reads cell percents as relative to the page, not to the table they are in.) IE and NS both allocate relative cell widths within the table, which I think is more logical. The result of this is that even though you have two tables both set to 95%, they won't line up correctly because the cells in one of them need 99% of the page.

Try adjusting the relative percents so that they add up to 95% and see if that helps. Apply the same logic to all other affected tables...it always seems to have something to do with % attributes in Opera.

Hope that helps!

Quote Reply
Thanks! It's better (although not perfect -- readable for now). Issue was missing tr, td tags. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.