Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Structure of Gossamer Threads

Quote Reply
Structure of Gossamer Threads
I'm curious to know the structure of GT's business. How many staff have you on board now? Who's the big boss? What other projects do you work on? Only GT based products? Or do you do work for other web sites too?

Do you all work from the offices of that building which I've completly forgotten the name of. Hmm?

Please do enlighten me! :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Structure of Gossamer Threads In reply to
I was speaking to Jack the other day and he told me Alex was the major shareholder...ie da boss.

I also remember reading that Alex and his father named the company.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 10, 2001, 5:11 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Structure of Gossamer Threads In reply to
Read here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/corporate/

Pretty awesome stats - 200,000 phew...

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 10, 2001, 7:46 AM
Quote Reply
Hi!

Sorry about the late reply. We have 15 employees, and product registrations account for the most of our business, but we still do a fair amount of custom work.

As for big boss? That would probably be me. =)

And yes, everyone works in the office, 9th floor of Sun Tower in Vancouver. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [All] Structure of Gossamer Threads In reply to
Here are some web links to photos of the Sun Tower:

http://www.notsorry.com/photos/SunTower.html
http://vanscrapers.tripod.com/suntower.htm

Interesting enough and as an aside, my mother worked in the Sun Tower building back in the early 60's when it was the home of Pacific Press / Vancouver Sun newspaper. Apparently, on numerous occaisons, a man by the name of Jimmy Patterson would drop by (with scissors in hand) to avail himself of a free newspaper. He was a budding entrepreneur. Now he's a local billionaire; having played a pivotal role in making Vancouver Expo '86 the success it was.

Some good mojo for you Alex Smile

Cheers - Dan Cool

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Structure of Gossamer Threads In reply to
Hi Alex

Hmm. You've had fantastic growth over the last few years then! Glad things are taking off well for you. Long may it continue! :-). You've certainly worked hard to earn the solid reputation GT have in the web community these days.

Cheers

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Nov 21, 2001, 3:03 AM
Quote Reply
Yup, I'd have to say I'm glad to see that Alex has built a hell of a business from himself.

Long, long ago, I was amongst the first people using Links. I remember being in the support forum and helping people fix a bug while installation, becuase the links.cfg file in 1.0 beta was missing a quote and semicolon at the end of a line, thus causing a Perl error. That was I think around xmas 1996 (ages ago in Internet time Smile).

I had been realativly new to Perl at that time (though have a long background in programming), and was excited to see Alex's work, as I could tell it was far better programming than a lot of the other Perl scripts I had been working with.

Working with Links was easy and made for simple customization, which led to my doing custom Links work for people as I was hanging out in the forums helping with installs, answering questions and doing cool little hacks (hardcoded categories in the Add a Link form comes to mind...such a little thing that people went nuts over).

So, knowing how my Perl career took off (I'm a full time programmer, as opposed to always working freelance previously), and owing a lot to learning GOOD Perl from Alex's work early on, I'm happy to see that he's built his company up, made a great reputation for himself and his staff, and is still producing first rate work.

It's funny too, some people may know that I have a very long standing relationship with Infopop (UBB) also. I've been hanging around there since approximately the same time that I started hanging around GT. It was actually a Links user that I was helping troubleshoot a 1.0 beta installation with that said "hey check out this cool bulletin board" program. It's amazing to sometimes think back on what paths got you to where you are!

Smile

--mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] Structure of Gossamer Threads In reply to
In Reply To:
Long, long ago, I was amongst the first people using Links. I remember being in the support forum and helping people fix a bug while installation, becuase the links.cfg file in 1.0 beta was missing a quote and semicolon at the end of a line, thus causing a Perl error. That was I think around xmas 1996 (ages ago in Internet time Smile).

And that person was most probably me ;-). I've been using Links since that time too and built up a few websites using the program (now defunct). I'd like to say that my Perl has developed since those days (after all I was only 14 or 15 then) but it hasn't very much <g>.

I hung around the InfoPOP forums for a while, never really caught on to it there unfortunately. I never really liked their coding or their business practices. When they didn't update the free version to download for a few months even a year I went walkies and never came back.

Do you remember version 2 of Analog being released? I was amazed with that! heehee.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
And that person was most probably me ;-). And that person was most probably me ;-).

Heh nope..actually it was jason dulberg, who occasionaly still shows up around here Smile

I don't recall analog. Refresh my memory?

--mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] Structure of Gossamer Threads In reply to
Analog, the web logging analyzer. You know... http://www.analog.cx. I was trying to write one of my own back then and I was amazed with it. :-) It was the first program I came to tamper with.

- wil