Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

So, forum software huh?...

Quote Reply
So, forum software huh?...
Hi,

Looks interesting. Is this a project you guys have been working on or is this someone elses?

Regan.
Quote Reply
Re: So, forum software huh?... In reply to
I'd say Gossamer Threads have been working on Gossamer Forum Wink

It's looking great guys! Look forward to a release!
Speaking of which, is this going to be a commercial product, free download, or optional?

- Mark

Astro-Boy!!
http://www.zip.com.au/~astroboy/
Quote Reply
Yes, this is something we (I) have been working on in secret for some time now.

In Reply To:
Speaking of which, is this going to be a commercial product, free download, or optional?
It is going to be a little different than our current products. The exact method used has not been completely decided, however most likely there will be some sort of freely downloadable time-limited trial version.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Last edited by:

jagerman: Sep 6, 2001, 12:07 AM
Quote Reply
WOW! This is cool Cool The old software was quite buggy and all that, and this has a nice 'feel' to it Smile

Good job Jason, I'm sure it will be a success!

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

I was thinking... wouldn't it be incredibly easy to make a work around for the admin thing not working. If the code isn't compiled - anyone could just comment out a few lines of code and have the free software.

I'm not saying its not a good idea - I just don't see how you can get something like that to work in PERL.

Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Obviously, you haven't looked at some of Jason's code *smirk*

Adrian
Quote Reply
It's not as "incredibly easy" as you might think - I had some fun coming up with the code to hide that away Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Judging from the smirk I guess I should take your word for it that it is pretty hard to work around :)

Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Funny,

I haven't been emailed to notify me of replies to this. I probably didn't tick the "send email notification" box.

Suggestion (I'll put this in the right forum too) - the "Send e-mail notification on reply" tick box is automatically ticked as default. Being a forum, most of the posts are questions, and people will more than likely want to now if theres been a response.

Cheers,
Regan.
Quote Reply
haha, this is cool ... and I thought the up coming phpBB 2 was gonna be good. Hmmm ... gonna have to consider lot's of this and what it'll mean for my site

Ahhhh, that's better, hehe, I had the width set to 200. ;)

OK,

Your main pages are spewing all over the place on Explorer 5.1b1 for apple's OS X 10.4 .... and OmniWeb's 4.03 isn't doing too much better.

the site does look pretty sweet, though. Great Job!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I use the Filter::* modules - they do a pretty good job of hiding code but obviously it isn't a great method - enough to fool the average person though.

Post deleted by PaulWilson In reply to
Quote Reply
I know this is rather crude, but can't you make a specific file get collected from your server when the script is run, with specific codes and variables in it, that are required for the script to run? That way, the copyright info, and most of the template stuff could be downloaded via the script, and then used?

Just an idea Smile

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Any idea about pricing? Will you follow the GT Mail model of pricing; ie: the bigger the application, the larger the license fee?

Also, will you be offering a pre-release price for those of us eager and counting our pennies?

--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply

I really like this :) It's got a much better feel, and it works pretty fast. Once you get used to the new Icons, it will keep the look/feel of the site all the same from gossmail, and I'm sure the other programs as well.

Much improved :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
~moved to gossamer forum forum

Last edited by:

andy_C: Sep 6, 2001, 2:08 PM