Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Questions about "improved" Resources Section

Quote Reply
Questions about "improved" Resources Section
I thought I would publicly post these questions as other GT users may be able to shed some light or provide further suggestions for improving the Resources section:

1) Why aren't emails sent to users when they submit sites? I used to receive confirmation emails, but haven't received any when I recently added sites.

2) In terms of "logging in" via the modify.cgi script, shouldn't the user be redirected to the modify.cgi script rather than going to a "login success" screen?

3) How are you tracking records that users add? There is no login script to add scripts, and no new fields to put in a username/password? So, it seems that the records aren't related to user "records".

4) Are there any plans to integrate GT user accounts? Now I have three different "accounts" --> one for the forum, one for modifying resources, and another for accessing the member's download area. I know that this may be complicated since there are over 10,000 forum users, and probably 1,000's of clients, but it would be nice to have an integrated login through your site...also shows how your products can be integrated....

5) How about a delete feature, so that users can delete resources if they are no longer available?

6) How about a feature to change username/passwords? (both for the resources/downloads/forums -> yes, you can change your password in the forums...but it would be a nice feature to change access information, so that we, as users, can at least sync our access information across your different systems).

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Questions about "improved" Resources Section In reply to
Yeah good points.

Also for some reason I have two usernames and passwords so when I need to edit my resources I need to login to two different accounts. Would it be possible to move them all into one account?....or better yet, delete my Audio-Grabber one that is now misleading as Audio-Grabber no longer exists and it is going to WiredON

Also would it be possible to sort the links in a different order each time you build because the people using 123 or - at the beginning of their links are at the top all the time so it would be nice to vary the order to give us at the end of the alphabet a chance Smile

I've been on page two for ages....hehe

Installations:http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Favicon:http://www.wiredon.net/favicon/

Quote Reply
Good points, Paul...

I believe that the records in the Resources directory are sorted by isNew, Title meaning that the newest links are placed at the top, and then the records are sorted alphabetically in ascending order by title.

One other suggestion...

SORT the records alphabetically in the MODIFY screen. It seems that the NEWEST resources are placed at the bottom. For me, personally, I want to look for resources by alphabetically order.

And I did test adding a record using test data and sure enough, it allowed me to add the resource under another email address, which seems to be the FK (foreign key) in the "Resources" table from the PK (primary key) of Email address in the "Users" table.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
...and still no distinction between incompatible Links SQL resources and those for Links SQL 2.x

I really thought these would be separated on the last update, but still the potential confusion is there.

Eraser:
Insight Eye
http://www.insighteye.com/
Quote Reply
Hi,

1. I'll check into this, you should still receive an email.

2. Yes, that needs to get fixed up.

3. You can't add/modify without logging in. Once logged in, the scripts tags the link you add as yours when you add it, and makes it available to you for editing later.

4. Yes, we are heading in that direction, we just need one or two more parts of the puzzle.

5. Possibly, but for now just email me if you want something removed.

6. Yes, this will happen once things get integrated.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply, Alex....

Yes, I finally received a confirmation email.

I am glad to hear that you moving toward an integrated solution across your customer/user areas in your site.

BTW: Why don't you check case sensitive in your login form??? I was able to type in my complete "handle"/username in COMPLETE caps and variation of lower/upper case for my password, and I was able to access the Forum.

I would suggest that as you move to an "integrated" solution, you beef up your login procedures, since there will be sensitive information, like credit card numbers, etc. to protect.

Not a big deal for the forums, but with ONE login (hopefully), you would have access to your purchased product information as well as the forums...hope this makes sense.

see ya...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I would suggest that as you move to an "integrated" solution, you beef up your login procedures, since there will be sensitive information, like credit card numbers, etc. to protect.
Like all careful business, I doubt very much if GT keeps Credit Card details on a server accessible to the Internet, nor has plans to do so.

Alex?

Eraser:
Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Well, you missed my point...The login process definitely is NOT the most secure and people could easily hack in and download software/plug-ins...and as a customer of GT, I sure wouldn't want someone hacking into my account area and downloading paid software, now would you????

I was giving credit card storage as AN EXAMPLE! BTW: the next generation of MySQL does support transactions and STORING credit card info in an encrypted manner, so it wouldn't surprise me if GT moves to storing that data if they don't already do.

bye/

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I have not missed your point, the credit card issue is an interesting one and my reply was ultimately aimed at GT for confirmation on security issues. No, I wouldn't want people downloading stuff which we have to paid for as you rightly point out.

Although of course, no security measure can prevent unscrupulous users distributing copies to friends etc as the developers of VBulitin have found and are dogged with.

Best.

Eraser:
Insight Eye
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Like all careful business, I doubt very much if GT keeps Credit Card details on a server accessible to the Internet, nor has plans to do so
You are correct. Orders are received on the server via https (encrypted), and then are pgp mailed to our office and put into our accounting system which is not connected to the internet.

No credit card information is stored on our web server ever.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I don't know where to post this but this seemed the most likely.

I want to be able to change my nick. I'm sick of it and it no longer fits my profile since I've gone public.
Well, at least my first name. Jack should no the rest, well I think he does anyways.

I'm sure there's going to be something about assuming other people's identities but that could be checked for and logged ... hehe

hmmm or isn't this an option of w3t?

Quote Reply
ummm, had another idea.

over at macfixit.com they are now using w3t too. they do have 1 option that's pretty nice. you can do broad searches per category. ie, all of the dbman or all of the linksSQL type. currently you have to click on the specific category and then go back to search and click on the next category. a little troublesome if you ask me. There's information in pre-sales and also in disccusions which is another example. Now if you could just have the option in search to click on a drop down that shows something like:

LinksSQL
--pre-sales
--discussions
--plugins
-- blah blah blah
Links
--installation
--discussions
DBMan
--presales
--discussions

Does this make sense?

that way when you go to search you can choose the specific category "discussions" or if you want a wider search "LinksSQL" and then the grandaddy search "all of GT"

This definately would be nice ;-) and save the moderators from double writting search for "blah blah" in "pre-sales" and in "installations". a moderator could just write "search for blah-blah in LinksSQL".

saving time is always nice.