Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Linkssql.com
I edited this post because I think I expressed my intensions wrongly.

I own linkssql.com and I registered it to prevent anyone else from registering it, thereby giving Alex the opportunity to buy the name if he wanted it.

I do not wish to exploit Alex or anyone else by asking for some outrageous amount for the name.

I am only interested in making sure I regain my original outlay for the name.

I have not yet receiced a response from Alex regarding the name but as soon as he does, Im sure you will be notified.

Email :paul@audio-grabber.com

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Re: Linkssql.com In reply to
Hi Paul:

If Links SQL is trademarked, you may have inadvertently committed a federal crime under a new US law:

On November 29, 1999, President Clinton signed into law the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA). This Act seeks to prevent unscrupulous individuals and business entities from registering domain name(s) that are identical, or substantially similar to a Trademark, and then selling, or offering to sell the domain name(s) to the lawful Trademark owner.

The act provides injunctive relief; a court order requiring the registration facility to be forfeited, cancelled, or transferred to the Trademark owner; attorneys’ fees and court costs; actual damages, or statutory damages, in the amount of $1000 to $100,000 per domain name; and disgorgement of any profits the cyber squatter made from use of the name.

Dan Cool

Quote Reply
Well I dont think that applies to UK citizens.....unfortunately!

And anyway....I am not trying to rip Alex off by getting him to pay through the roof for it...I have offered it to everyone and the highest bidder gets it...I am not interesed in making thousands from it....I just want at least the amount that I paid for it and anyone can have it!

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Are you accusing me of being an unscrupulous individual?

I just though Id point out that Gossamer-Threadsis located in Canada and so is not affected by US legislations.

....and in any case my sister is a lawyer!

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Hi Paul:

No, I'm not accusing you of being an unscrupulous individual. Quite the contrary. That was a quote from a legal news item from another site. My apologies as I should have made that clear.

BTW, Canada, UK and other nations may have similar legislation in place so I would check. But if not, then there are other avenues of legal recourse - for example, Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution via the DomainMagistrate at http://www.domainmagistrate.com/.

Again, I'm not making any substantiated accusations or pointing any fingers. Just advising you such that you may wish to get a legal opinion. It may have been advised to have emailed Alex privately instead as he may have (1) consented on the GT acquisition of the domain for some monetary ammount, (2) given expressed consent to sell the domain to another (non-GT) party, or (3)inform you that it is a moot point if they do not have the trademark.

At any rate, all the best success.

Dan Cool

Quote Reply
Well I did send Alex a private message and when he didnt reply I decided to post a public message to let other Links users have the chance to own the domain as I thought Alex didnt want it.

As far as I know, only the code is copyrighted and not the actual name so until I hear from Alex I cannot take any further action.

...and as I said...I am not holding Alex to ransom demanding thousands of dollars for the domain.

I registeered it to STOP anyone else registering it ie.(someone who knew nothing about GT)...so that Alex had the choice to buy it if he wanted.

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Hi Paul:

Sounds innocent enough so I apologize if my language sounded harsh. It's just that I'm in the beginnings of going after 2 websites who are unscrupulous - one uses the site to redirect to an adult site - so I'm a tad oversensitive to this issue. The fact that you are willing to offer the site at cost speaks volumes about your integrity and that you are not out to to extort monies from GT. Note that Alex can take a few days to respond (busy guy) but he should get back to you with a reply one way or the other. Have a great and safe Christmas!

Dan Cool

Quote Reply
No hard feelings!

When you say you are going after other sites..what do you mean?

Is that your job?

...and when you say that they are using a url to point to an adult site...what is the URL that they are using?....Is it a copyrighted name?

Happy christmas to you too!

Thanks
Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Hi Paul:

Thanks too! And no, I'm going after them in the capacity as site owner and webmaster. If it comes down to litigating, then I'll hire a lawyer. And yes, the domain name is trademarked. They simply adjusted the name (URL which I prefer not to name until at least this matter is resolved one way or the other) by hyphenating (e.g., www.micro-soft.com). Both have pulled the domains offline after I fired off (legally framed) emails to them. Then one has modified the InterNIC record of one of the domains to include the text: For Sale. But both had basically told me to "go fly a kite". Perhaps they are waiting for me make an offer for the domains but I'd hate to negotiate with these sort of people except through the civil court system in terms of compensatory and punitive damages as an out of court settlement. Hopefully they make me an offer since they reside in the US. Then I can go after them via the ACPA law.

Dan Cool