Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

GT::SQL - Transactions

Quote Reply
GT::SQL - Transactions
GT,

With the 'BDB', 'GEMINI', and 'InnoDB' Transaction Safe Table (TST) types for MySQL, and the fact that Pg, and Oracle all support transactions, is it at least in the planning phase to add transaction support to the existing GT::SQL libs.

Of course, betas of the MySQL TST types would not be something I'd want my mission critical app to depend on, however, as they become more stable and supported, this feature might be a valuable addition for those 'Shopping Cart' LinkSQL-Plugin authors, for example.

TIA,

-Steven

Quote Reply
Re: GT::SQL - Transactions In reply to
I don't know GT's plans...but Alex404 and others are working transaction processes and shopping cart plugins.

Refer to the Shopping Cart... Thread in the Links SQL Plugins Forum.

BTW: Questions pertaining to LINKS SQL should be posted in the appropriate LINKS SQL forum.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
It was a question pertaining to GT::SQL::*

Of the products GT sells, LinksSQL is the only one I have purchased, so I sort of leaned in that direction, as it was the only good example that I could think of at the time of writing.

As far as implementing transaction support, I think it would be simplest for all plugin authors to just use the one set of libraries, which already provides most of the required functionality. Also, I don't see anything about SQL transactions in the thread you mentioned.

Anyway, I think that the question is a valid one, and (still) in the right forum.

Quote Reply
Hi,

We are interested in doing something like this, however to be honest, with less then 20% of our customers being able to make use of it (most people are on shared mysql installations), it's not a high priority.

I do think simple transaction support could be added fairly easily, and implemented in the appropriate drivers, and a no-op for the ones that don't support it.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hmm..

Do you think that GT would be interested in licensing their perl libs to 3rd party developers who are not developing software as plugins or add-ons to existing GT apps, but rather their own standalone software, which relies on GT.

If so, I think that you might get some interest from a whole new market. This could give you the resources that you need to spend more time on these types of issues.

Of course, I can just hack it into my local copy myself I suppose. Maybe it can best be implemented by subclassing the SQL::Table, and Driver::Mysql modules.

Just a thought,

-Steven

Quote Reply
Hi,

In Reply To:
Do you think that GT would be interested in licensing their perl libs to 3rd party developers who are not developing software as plugins or add-ons to existing GT apps, but rather their own standalone software, which relies on GT.
Definately. We have done this with two other products out there (can't name names unfortunately), and is something we are always looking at doing.

I've also thought about a subscription type service, which would give you CVS read-only access into our GT libraries for a monthly fee.

In any respect, we are definately open to this sort of arrangement, so if you have a product you'd like to use our libs on, just send me an email with some details.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
http://www.zend.com/zend/art/databases.php

I am leaning more over to Postgres now. It has the added features, and is faster then MySQL. MySQL is alright - but there are some alternatives now which are much better.

My advertising program won't work with MySQL now - It needs the added speed to be worth while over the competition.

Discuss webhosting at
The Webhost Area Forums!
http://www.webhostarea.com/forums/
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, we now support Postgres with all our applications, however most hosting companies still offer only MySQL.

The benchmark you refer to is a little unfair, as there are a lot of situations where MySQL is faster then postgres. You cant make a sweeping statement like that.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
But Links SQL doesn't use Postgres's added features such as Transactions, Triggers, Stored functions etc which would be one of the main reasons for using it.

Allowing the software to use Postgres is easy, as you just use a DB abstraction layer - however a version taking advantage of the features should be made, there is a significant performance increase when the extra features are utilised. I am sure a lot of people would rather install Postgres on there dedicated machines then have to pay for a hardware upgrade.

Discuss webhosting at
The Webhost Area Forums!
http://www.webhostarea.com/forums/
Quote Reply
Hi,

You don't need a lot of those features in Links SQL, and transactions slow servers down, not speed them up (but improve reliability and easy of programming). However, by using Postgres, you get the benefit of Postgres's column level locking which helps for heavy loads and is a definate plus (one of Mysql's biggest shortcomings). Links SQL would use this automatically.

The one feature we are adding in is support for SQL's server built in full text indexing. This would be a good performance improvement.

In Reply To:
Allowing the software to use Postgres is easy, as you just use a DB abstraction layer
That's a gross over-simplification. SQL is anything but standard (and then there's DBD:: quirks on top of that). There are lots of little differences between Mysql, Postgres, ODBC and Oracle and that's just with simple things. When you look at column editing, table creates or even limit clauses, let alone transactions, they all differ.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.