Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Forum idea
I have noticed that when doing a search in any of the busier forums that most of the matches consist of an answer of "do a search on..."

Is it possible for the admin or moderators to set a "noindex" tag on messages like this? It discourages users from continuing to look through matches if there are a large number of them.

There you go - if it's not possible, then your next project can be writing a forum that does that ;o)

Call it Gossamer-Threaded or something.

Quote Reply
Re: Forum idea In reply to
Good point...However, posting redundant Threads about information that is posted already in the Resource Center and also in other Threads in the forums is also annoying.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
This is the purpose of the FAQ site for Links SQL I set up. I've put most of it on hold, pending the new version, but what it did was individually index and describe the better threads - using Links itself.

There really is no other way to make this information readily available. It takes effort.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
I know, it's not a problem specific to this forum - they all suffer from it to some degree. Even if there is a link to a FAQ at the top of every thread people will ask rather than read it when they first start using any help forum.

You can't really delete duplicate threads, at least not until they get old, or you just get posts asking "Why was my post deleted?"

Flagging these files so they don't show up in a search would sure help the ones that do try and look.

A broken link checker would be kind of handy too, I noticed a couple of posts had them.

Oh, and if you can get it to serve hot coffee regularly, that would be best of all. Cool

Quote Reply
Well...some of the links in the forum have been removed by authors of Modification for a reason...Wink. And directory and file structures change all the time...so, it is not really a unique problem to this forum system. Tongue.

One last thing..."Beggers cannot be Choosers!" Wink

Regards,

Eliot