Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

About this forum..

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
About this forum..
This forum is a place to discuss any questions you might have about Gossamer Threads the company, or on any of the announcements we have made. Also, if you have script ideas you'd like to post, here's the place to post them!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: About this forum.. In reply to
Great site, and the forum really appears to be alot faster. This is my first time in the new forum, can I make two very small suggestions:-

1. I see the ratings are slightly different eg stranger, journeyman etc, a small help page may help users to understand some of the phrases.

2. I live in the UK and would visit the forum daily, however when I am in bed you are all working hard, I normally drop by your home page to see what time it is with yourselves, a small clock in the top of the forum may assist.

These in noway reflect in what is a great site, and excellent forums. These features would assist me, but they may not be what everybody else wants.

One again great site.

Davy C

Quote Reply
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback. The stranger, journeyman are in no way ratings, but just reflect the number of posts a person has made:

Code:
0 Stranger
25 Newbie
50 Journeyman
100 Member
200 Enthusiast
400 Addict
700 Old Hand
1200 Veteran
As for the clock, I'll look into it, but in the meantime just subtract 8 hours. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Would of personally seen you switch to the v-bulletin software for the forum. It's MySQL and a laid out like the old UBB. I have just purchased a copy for my site and switching from UBB.

See at http://www.vbulletin.com

Jerry

Quote Reply
Any reason why? I personally am not a big php fan, much prefer perl.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Just that my users complained when I tried a few other fourms out and vbulletin was the only one that had the feel and look of the UBB.

Really it was just a case of not wanting to alienate my users.

Jerry

Quote Reply
UBB has a 'standard' feel to it, but that's only habit. It' has a lot of annoying features, that once you get used to WWWThreads you'll find it hard to go back to UBB.

Actually, once you get used to most other newer BBS's it's hard to go back to UBB. The interface is clean, but it's old, and missing features that you end up wanting. UBB is in need of a full rewrite, and it's really hard to do when you have such a large installed base, and you have to make things backwards compatible....

Quote Reply
That is why I have bought the copy of vbulletin. My copy of UBB is so hacked to have features it is now starting to slow down. and I hated each time they came out with a new update adding the hacks again. since they didn't want to add them.

UBB is going to the wayside quickly.

Jerry

Quote Reply
Actually UBB will be severly cleaned up and will have new features added to it this summer, when 6.0 comes out.

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
I got a copy of vBulletin as well. I prefer PHP to Perl... I would rather use vBulletin then this.

Michael Bray
Quote Reply
vBulletin is still buggy and in development

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
Hi Michael,

Just curious as to your reasons? Is it purely because it is in php, or is it something in the interface? We've always been thinking about doing our own forum so I'm interested in why people like the different programs. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I guess I just like it because it has a simple interface to use - it is very fast and it is easy to alter HTML (Very Easy using a good template system!).

I like the features of this forum as well - although I do prefer the layout etc of vBulletin.

Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Excellent new forum and site, Alex! Great work, and might I say, Links SQL is top notch all the way, an amazing product!!!

Regards,

>>Muhammad
Quote Reply
After using this software for a few days, I'd like to make some comments.

I really like the ability to use different colors in the posts. There are lots of times when I need part of a post to stand out a little, but bold text is just a little too much. (It seems like I'm yelling at the person.) Being able to use blue and red text is wonderful.

I'm really happy with being able to choose whether or not I want to preview my message. I have caught a number of errors before they have been actually posted to the board.

A seemingly little thing, but a big one for me is the font that is used within the composition textarea. With the UBB board and the font that was there (at least with my browser settings), it was nearly impossible to tell the difference between a { and a (. If I made a typo, I couldn't see it until it was posted to the board.

I sorta miss the
Code:
tags, but they were problematic, too. For one thing, the text was really small (at least on my browser) and, again, it was difficult to see my typos.

On one hand, I miss having the entire thread available on the page as I'm writing a response. I often need to look at several messages in the thread when I'm replying to people. OTOH, some of those threads get pretty long and it took nearly forever for the reply page to load. I finally discovered that it was easy enough to go back to the full thread as I needed to.

I don't like the "smiley" graphics on this forum, but I can probably learn to live with them. Smile

I really like the search function here. To actually be able to find a thread that was written within the past week is wonderful!!

I also like the private message function. I would rather not get a lot of email from the board (I have limited space on my server), but I understand that sometimes folks don't want to broadcast their sites to the world, even when they're having problems. The private message function is excellent.

Overall, even with some of the things I miss, this was a very good choice, Alex. Well done!!

JPD
Quote Reply
Hi JPDeni,

In Reply To:
I sorta miss the
Code:
tags, but they were problematic, too.
They are still there! You can use code or pre tags.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I'm not sure if this is customisable or not, but...

When adding a post, the 'Check Spelling' button is in focus by default. I often use TAB ENTER to continue, and I get the Spelling page. Unfortunately I really don't want to use this, because it checks all the coding (and doesn't have a very intellegent vocab!)

I'm not sure if others use the Check Spelling by default, or whether it would be possible to make the CONTINUE button focus by default?

Just a thought! Wink

PS here we go:
Code:
and doesn't [dog] have a very intellegent [intelligence] vocab!) [vocabularies]

Cheers!
Ben
------------
http://www.travel-experiences.com
Quote Reply
I am just looking for a good forum software to replace our 5 years old system based on something from San Francisco State University called COW.

I think I will choose WWWThreads, as this seems to be quite fullfeatured and easy to use and written in perl. What is the best place to evaluate forum software? cgi.resourceindex.com?

One question: why do my messages still be shown as new ones when I go back to the list of messages after reading them? It seems to me that WWWThreads demo forum correctly updates those new-icons but this system doesn't?

Lauri Parikka

Quote Reply
You can get an early version of wwwThreads to try on your site from their site. If you want to see what software is out there, check cgi-resources.com. The problem with them is they don't list any PHP software, and there are 2 or 3 PHP based forum's now out there.

To some extent, PHP would make a good choice for a forum since all that's being done is occaisional inserts (new messages) but quite a bit of access and presentation. PHP is good at that. I wouldn't be suprised to see PHP front ends for forums coming out. Some things are better done in perl, but once the perl scripts are written, the user interfaces -- if that is the prime use of the program -- can often be better in PHP.

Every language has a niche... every tool has a use.

Quote Reply
If you are looking for PHP + Perl Resources, you might check out http://www.hotscripts.com

I think their listing is even better than cgiresources.com(they don't always update:->).

Bear

Quote Reply
It would be nice if the title of the thread appeared in the title so that when I bookmark threads I dont replace other ones.

Quote Reply
Should be all fixed!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks.

Quote Reply
Hi Alex

I see you have added a clock to the forum, its great for those of us who live on the otherside of the world, I know you have it on the home page, but I for one have the forum bookmarked and come straight here.

Thanks

DavyC

Quote Reply
Alex

I posted a comment about the tongue smiley which hasn't been commented on but I feel that it should be addressed.

To me this forum is about helping people and the tongue smiley can be used to upset people. I feel that it has no place in the forum.

George E.D. Burville
Ed: www.appbe.com
> >