Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

GT working on?

(Page 1 of 4)
> >
Quote Reply
GT working on?
Well, no new announcements from GT lately. Just wonder, are there any new cool stuff you're working on?

Maybe GForum2? GComm2? Some new products?

I'm visiting your blog almost every day but there are no info about stuff you're working on and as there are almost no info from Alex in this forums, I'm just curious.

Really would like to know. It eats me alive Cool

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [deadroot] GT working on? In reply to
deadroot wrote:
Well, no new announcements from GT lately. Just wonder, are there any new cool stuff you're working on?

Maybe GForum2? GComm2? Some new products?

I'm visiting your blog almost every day but there are no info about stuff you're working on and as there are almost no info from Alex in this forums, I'm just curious.

Really would like to know. It eats me alive Cool

Hi deadroot,
I quite agree.
I like GTs blog entries about poker, gadgets and so on,
but
a roadmap for glinks, gcomm or especially for gforum would be nice too.

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] GT working on? In reply to
Looks like they are in a holding pattern for a year or so?

Maybe being acquired by Google?

Enough with the cheesy blood donor/gadget blog posts! Frown
Belize Tourism & Country Guide
Belize News

Last edited by:

mromero: Feb 22, 2008, 9:41 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [mromero] GT working on? In reply to
It seems that GT doesn't like us anymore Crazy

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [DeadMan] GT working on? In reply to
Hi GT,
I know, it is not nice to be asked again and again, when gforum or other products finally finished or updated.
But as you can see in many threads, YOUR clients are interested.
We are all clients, you should not simply ignore us!

Sometimes it's better to answer, than just say nothing. Even if an answer costs much time.

When I were a interested new user, visiting this forum. And I would read threads like this one.
I would just close my browser window...

Just a opinion from one of your clients

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Some theories:

1. The GT folks are ill and cannot work - gall bladder surgery? Incarcerated?

2. They are being acquired so have to go into silent mode for a time.

3. They've completely re-designed and re-coded all their products and will shock us with an announcement tomorrow.

4. They've tied all their products into a killer CMS.
Belize News
Quote Reply
This is what really happened!

As you may know their office is right across from the Alaska Cruise Ships. Jack looked out the window then looked back at his computer screen. Viewed the recent Posts on the forum and went for a holiday!

That’s my story and I'm sticking to it!

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] GT working on? In reply to
SandraR wrote:
This is what really happened!

As you may know their office is right across from the Alaska Cruise Ships. Jack looked out the window then looked back at his computer screen. Viewed the recent Posts on the forum and went for a holiday!

That’s my story and I'm sticking to it!

Can someone check, whether the sun tower is still there Wink

Seriously, the only one who cares about the clients in this forum is Andy.
I know Andy is not from GT, but if he was not there in the last months, it would have been very very quiet in this forum.

Of course, Andy is interested in selling his plugins, but should not GT interested in selling their products, too.
Perhaps GT lost their contact to the small people...

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
brewt is here helping - wrote to him the other day and had an immediate reply.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] GT working on? In reply to
Yes, me too. Just yesterday. Wink

But problem isn't in problem solving rather in no new info or announcement from GT so we are tapping in the dark Unsure

Don't know what is going on, what is working on...nothing...just blank page Unsure

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Seems, that they now even canceled new blog entries Unsure

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
I hope there is not a parallel here to an experience I had many years ago.

I ran a BBS on what was considered the top platform of the day TBBS and made by eSoft. This sucker was coded in assembly language and lean and mean like most
of the GT products.

Somewhere along the way the company lost its direction and there was like a year and a half lull in updates or forum activity.

Suddenly a new upgraded version came out and most sysops desperately upgraded. I recall the upgrade being expensive but hey, we were thirsty.

Turned out the upgrade was a minor fix and a few cosmetic changes.

Then they lowered the boom.

The head of the company had left and what remained was sold off and TBBS died - but they refused to release it as open source.

Matthias70 wrote:
Seems, that they now even canceled new blog entries Unsure

Matthias
Belize News
Quote Reply
Hi,
today I had a look on early announcements in this forum.
From Nov 15, 2004 to Oct 12, 2006 the GT Dev Team did exactly what we are all waiting for the last year.
In this period they wrote many posts on what they are working on...

Is there still a GT Dev Team out there Smile

Would be great, if you could give us a sign of life Wink

Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi Everyone,

First off, sorry about the lack of updates being made. No, we are not going anywhere or being sold or stopping development. As lame as it sounds, we have just been too busy. Last year saw an 80% growth here and we've been struggling to keep up with the demand. We now have over 20 people working here in Vancouver, and our hosting side of things has exploded to over 300 servers.

The bulk of our time has been doing a lot of custom development on sites big and small using products like Gossamer Forum and Gossamer Links as a base. We've been creating a lot of cool plugins and enhancements as part of this development. Sadly, we haven't been getting the new stuff released to everyone and definitely haven't got core updates out in time. Even Ian who has been managing our blog has gotten pulled away and we haven't been able to put out blog posts.

We're going to be changing that in the next month or two and put a lot of resources into polishing up the plugins we've done, and getting the code released that has been sitting in beta for a while. So, while I recognize that I've said this before many a time, please do stay tuned and you should see some exciting news.

Thanks again for the patience, and if you do have questions, please feel free to reply, or drop me an email or send me a private message and I'll do my best to get back to you quickly.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] GT working on? In reply to
Hi Alex,
it does'nt matter how much work there is.
There should be at least one person from GT who's watching the posts in this forum.
This should not cost so much time.
15 minutes each day should do it...

So what do you think about a Roadmap for each of your products?

Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi Matthias,

Yes, Adrian (brewt) does try to reply to a lot of the technical posts and provide some answers/assistance where possible. As for a roadmap, previously we've been pulled off into doing a lot of custom work, so a roadmap without any meaningful dates would not be that useful (and indeed would have changed considerably as we build and develop things for other people). We are now going to start integrating a lot of the custom work we've been doing back into the products, so you'll see some good stuff coming out soon.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex wrote:
As for a roadmap, previously we've been pulled off into doing a lot of custom work, so a roadmap without any meaningful dates would not be that useful (and indeed would have changed considerably as we build and develop things for other people).

Hi Alex,
a roadmap with dates would be great!
For me as a very curios user, a roadmap without dates is better than no roadmap Wink

But I'm trying to exercise patience... Angelic

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Matthias70 wrote:
But I'm trying to exercise patience... Angelic

Oh, and I appreciate that! Cool

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Yes, Adrian (brewt) does try to reply to a lot of the technical posts and provide some answers/assistance where possible. As for a roadmap, previously we've been pulled off into doing a lot of custom work, so a roadmap without any meaningful dates would not be that useful (and indeed would have changed considerably as we build and develop things for other people). We are now going to start integrating a lot of the custom work we've been doing back into the products, so you'll see some good stuff coming out soon.

At least you've had me holding down the fort Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Alex wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We've been creating a lot of cool plugins and enhancements as part of this development. Sadly, we haven't been getting the new stuff released to everyone and definitely haven't got core updates out in time.
We're going to be changing that in the next month or two and put a lot of resources into polishing up the plugins we've done, and getting the code released that has been sitting in beta for a while. So, while I recognize that I've said this before many a time, please do stay tuned and you should see some exciting news.

Alex

Maybe some sneak preview of those cool new plugins? Just to have idea on what you were working on.

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,
two months are over and I can't see any further changes on the gforum install on GT?
There is still no paging in the member directory and there is no mark all read button and so on...
Not much to change, but if you want to release gforum in the next days these changes should be tested.

And I’d be very pleased if you tell us, what features the new gforum will bring.

Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Is wondering if the growth is overtaking the actual functionality of the company.
Quote Reply
Re: [LordStryfe] GT working on? In reply to
$$$$$

It's all about the dollars. They are obviously earning enough money via other ventures and no longer care about the people that bought DBMan, Links2 etc and made their company what it is today.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Jul 8, 2008, 4:31 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] GT working on? In reply to
I emailed them today and got this response:

Quote:

Hi Jason,
We are in fact working on a bunch of updates for the end of summer release, please stay tuned to our Announcements forum for breaking news.
Jack.

Quote Reply
Hi Matthias.,

Ian is working on a blog post to showcase some of the things that will be out soon and in the new versions. We will be releasing a new FileMan and Gossamer Forum shortly. FileMan is a complete rewrite, all "ajaxified" (man I hate that word). Gossamer Forum is a mjor overhaul and will include new features like social media integration, improved rss support, positive feedback system, post tagging, and a host of other things. We'll walk through some of this in detail in the next week or two. We're really pushing to get this out soon.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
> >