Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Do GT have their own power supply?

Quote Reply
Do GT have their own power supply?
I'm just wondering.... how come the GT site has been online all this time, even with thepower outages?

PayPal went offline, Tek-Tips.com is offline, and a quite a few others ... Are you not on the main Canadian power exchange? Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Aug 15, 2003, 10:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Do GT have their own power supply? In reply to
Vancouver, BC is one the west coast. the blackout generally affected the area around Niagra, which is over a thousand miles away.

Vancouver
Niagra Falls, New York

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.

Last edited by:

fuzzy logic: Aug 15, 2003, 10:51 AM
Quote Reply
The USA and Canada are comprised of four "power" grids - Eastern, Central, Western, Texas Inter-Continent. The Vancouver area is in the Western power grid.

Note: The Central power grid was affected in 1996, with six major cities in a fourteen state region. Denver, Colorado was part of that Blackout.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Do GT have their own power supply? In reply to
Ah..I see :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
They would (or at least should) have a backup generator. My server is in New Jersey, which was affected by the power outage. There is a backup generator that kicked when power was lost.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
We also have 2 hours UPS, and 1 week diesel in case of power failure.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Do GT have their own power supply? In reply to
Cool about the diesal backup...I've seen many impressive diesal fueled backup generators (ones that take up about 700 sq ft. and bigger) at various data centers...do you happen to have any pics of your data center?
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Do GT have their own power supply? In reply to
On a smaller scale, a common mistake (learned personally by myself) is to have servers on UPS, and if your really stylin', to have workstations on small ups's, but forgetting to have your switches/hubs/modems on UPS. When the power goes out and the systems stays up everyone cheers and you're the hero - until they realize they are no longer connected to the network and can't save. Then you take advantage of the darkness and slink out quickly before the boss finds you.
Quote Reply
Yes, but have you got a good diesel reserve tank? :-)

(I'm just reading 'Planning for Survivable Networks' at the moment...)

- wil
Quote Reply
Diesel back up is like an insurance policy that you hope you'll never make a clam on... yet... I've got a co-lo server over at telehouse in the east end of London... last year, on Guy Folks night, we had a seven hour regional power outage... after the UPS drained, the diesel system kicked in and held my server up...

Take heed when choosing a host... it's worth the extra buck...

moog
-- I've spent most of my money on beer and women... the rest I just wasted.