Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Central Login - Need Help

Quote Reply
Central Login - Need Help
Hi Alex,

We bought all three products from GT : Forum, Mail, and LinkSQL. We have a lot of users but they are very ANGRY when they have to sign up and keeping login again whenever they switch between those products. We start losing our customers. So Is there any solution for us ? Please HELP.!

Thanks

KA

Last edited by:

KieuAnh: Nov 3, 2002, 1:23 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [KieuAnh] Central Login - Need Help In reply to
There's a "community" plugin being developed which should do what you're referring to. Look in this forum for more information. Not sure when it's going to be released.

cheers,
r.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Central Login - Need Help In reply to
I wouldn't hold your breath...

Alex from October, 2001:
"We have two applications almost finished (will be released in October), as well as the community plugin will be done soon."

I understand the unexpected programming issues that can cause delay, but you really shouldn't promise something as soon until it's actually going to be ready soon. Especially when there's folks like me who only chose Gossamer because there was going to be a nifty unified login capability.

Fortunately, I'm not paying anything. Wink

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Central Login - Need Help In reply to
How funny that you did not pay!

You are crying for a community-script, but you don't want to be in the community.
You just want to use the community ..... probably for free Unsure

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Sir Up] Central Login - Need Help In reply to
I'm a not-for-profit user, I still own a license. I needed, originally, the community plugin to unite several scripts I use. And, for the record, this was my first post about the community plugin-- my point was just that the person needing it shouldn't be waiting expectantly for it, but instead should find another way of satisfying his users.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Central Login - Need Help In reply to
I'm also very angry about the delay, but it makes no sense to press for a release.
Alex and the team knows that community will be a great help for a lot of us.

Maybe with the release of community other great plugins will be available soon.

Today I thought about to write Alex/Aki a message with my ideas about e-commerce. (Import and Export of data between an local Order/Stock-Management and an Online-Links-Shopping-System). I did not send the message ..... Let's wait for a first release! Time will brings the result!

--
Michael Skaide

Quote Reply
The "problem" with the community plugin, is that people wanted too much. Alex always likes to deliver, but you can't deliver "too much" on the same schedule as "All right."

No one has been disappointed at the quality of a GT release, and the complexity of making *all* (not just GT) programs work through a central signup point is a daunting one.

Add to that the background need for a shopping cart/membership (BILLING) solution that integrates into all this, and you now have a Passport-Like product.

M$ still hasn't gotten theirs right.... We are hoping Alex will get his right :) (and do it BEFORE people start to use it <G>)

You can't rush genius :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Central Login - Need Help In reply to
Pugdoc,

that's the point. The topic (community and shopping-solution) is to complex to release an easy script. As I mentioned before, I think Alex (maybe) did not realize this when he gave first informations about community one year ago. After the thoughts of community the shopping-idea comes up.

GT has many international users. They all should have the possibility to add shopping-plugin to their projects. But if you create a script which fits all needs for all forreign-users, you will have to program never ending configurations (I think, am I right?).

Actually I would prefer to have shopping-plugin sooner than community.

More important is that a released script works. Alex should give more informations about a realistic time-table for new releases in this direction.

--
Michael Skaide

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Actually I would prefer to have shopping-plugin sooner than community.

As stated before, a different member of staff is working on each plugin. The community plugin is Alex's project I believe Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Central Login - Need Help In reply to
Hi Andy,

what should your message tell us?

Will Aki finished his task before Alex will be ready, or will Alex wait for Aki before he present his work!?

--
Michael Skaide

Quote Reply
Well,what I was meaning to say, is that nobody knows. Alex has been working on the community plugin for ages now, and Paul seems to think that it will be ready later in Jan, but your guess is as good as mine Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!