Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Gossamer HelpDesk

(Page 1 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
Gossamer HelpDesk
I'm putting in a script request for a HelpDesk system by Alex and the Gossamer gang.

I've hunted around for hacks, etc., for modding the current scripts for helpdesk applications, and I know that WonderDesk apparently is based on DBMan.

Gossamer HelpDesk could be MySQL, have visitor login, lots of email notifications, the ability to create a Knowledge base or FAQ, check for duplicate user names, and tons of other stuff.

I've found lots of scripts, but a lot of them either are very expensive OR don't quite have all the functions you need OR require higher level programming (like php4 instead of php3) OR they require root access OR they don't allow visitor login.

I would be using it for customer support and would eventually like to have it tap into a customer history database generated by my shopping cart.

Have you ever considered doing anything like this, Alex?

Thanks very much.

DT

Quote Reply
Re: Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
Sounds like a plug-in for LINKS SQL or DBMAN SQL (whenever it is upgraded to utilize the plug-in system).

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yep, that would be a winner.

DT

Quote Reply
Hi,

It has been something we've been toying with the idea of making. Your timing is rather ironic as I spent this weekend setting up a help desk system that we will be using to better manage support. We expect to roll it out later this week.

For those interested we went with Request Tracker at http://www.fsck.com/projects/rt/. It's in perl and uses mysql, but you really need a dedicated server to use it as it uses mod_perl + HTML::Mason.

However, I'd love to roll our own system out, one that has better mail integration. It's definately something we'd be interested in doing. Just a matter of time. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
You might also consider Double Choco Latte:

http://dcl.sourceforge.net/

DT

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
Hi All

I'm reviving my request for a Gossamer Help Desk system.

All the same reasons apply that I mentioned above.

I think that there is a SERIOUS need on the web for a really good, comprehensive, and scalable help desk system for all levels of business or other entities like non-profit guys, clubs, etc.

In fact, a comprehensive Help Desk system would act as the central contact point between customers and businesses by having searchable knowledge bases, an faq, lots of permissions features, mulitple ways for customers to create and respond to help tickets (could create a ticket either right on the site or by sending an initial email to support@). The number of features could be pretty amazing.

This would definitely be a candidate for a plugin, as mentioned by Chewbaca, and I am aware of a whole load of systems already out there, but not one of them offers all that a super system should have.

Next, a nice Shopping Cart system that can handle a million hits a day and thousands of transactions is in order. This should have very deep pricing, shipping, membership options and consider geography, total value, and lots-o-other factors in all cart functions.

Okay, thar's another of my two cents...

Ciao! Cool

DogTags

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
Have you seen the one used by MySQL.com? They seem to have adopted a system that manages your web, email, phone and fax.

You are right, though - there is a definite market for this kidn of product. However, it does seem that this is a heck of a big job! And maybe not the job for Perl.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
GT are gonna be busy bunnies if they adopt all the recent suggestions lol

Quote:
However, it does seem that this is a heck of a big job! And maybe not the job for Perl.

Perl has more of a fighting chance that anything else...what do you suggest? ASP lol

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 2, 2001, 7:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
No, more something like C++? Or maybe some more advanced programming languages.

- wil
Quote Reply
That would be good. A little scary though and untweakable for those who don't know C++ (which is probably a greater number than people who don't know perl)
Quote Reply
Yeah. I don't think this is really the sort of product for Perl and the Web really.

You wouldn't really manage this from a web browser, would you?

You'd expect to get a stand alone program, most likely for Windows, with features in it etc. There are quite a few on the market, which are very expensive may I add.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yes probably.

I guess I was thinking more in terms of a web script rather than an application before you mentioned it.
Quote Reply
I hope it is ok to post this here :)

I have been working for the last 4 months on a helpdesk script. I was a bit fed up of using wonderdesk and it seems to lack so many core features.

Anyway, some features include:

- tickets via web/email
- mysql obviously
- unlimited user fields, ticket fields with custom regex, parsed default values etc. (ie like gossamer SQL fields)
- attachments
- very powerful tech interface, pms, to do lists, email notification manager.

etc...

v0.9.9 has been thoroughly bug tested and v1.0.0 will be out by the end of the week i hope maybe early next week. I am finishing of the stats package for the admin.

The only drawback for you people here is that it is in PHP, which personally i prefere but lets not get into a perl/php argument :)

Anyway, the front site lists it as please wait because the last few things are been set up, e.g. the demo is still using 0.9.9 and there are couple of 404s around but you can have a look here

http://www.deskpro.com/index2.php
and the forums at
http://www.deskpro.com/forums/
and the demo (the email interface ie you send an email and it makes a ticket is not avaliable because I am refining today the template for reply to make it a bit more intuitive after user feedback)
http://www.deskpro.com/demo1
---------------------------------------------
DeskPRO.com http://www.deskpro.com?r=gt
vBulletin.com Moderator and Support http://www.vbulletin.com/
Quote Reply
Re: [padders] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
Would be nice if it was integrated with other great software like GT's packages...hehe!
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [padders] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
In Reply To:
I was a bit fed up of using wonderdesk and it seems to lack so many core features.
Hmmm, that's interesting. We (at wonderdesk.com) don't have any record of you owning a WonderDesk license. Care to explain that?
Quote Reply
Re: [Katana Man] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
Bahaha you're going to have some more competition soon...and I don't charge $8,500 Cool

btw padders hasn't been around for 2-3 months.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 11, 2002, 2:23 PM
Quote Reply
Smile We don't mind competition, but it's a different story when someone uses the product without a license. That's called "stealing". Of course, using it to develop a similar product/method is also illegal in itself.
Quote Reply
>>but it's a different story when someone uses the product without a license<<

Perhaps an email to padders may be better. He's not been at the forum since November. If you used the information in his forum profile to do the lookup then that may not be reliable.

>>Of course, using it to develop a similar product/method is also illegal in itself.<<

I could understand stealing copyrighted code being illegal, but using it to create a similar script isn't illegal surely?

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 11, 2002, 2:39 PM
Quote Reply
Hi James,

I wondered why you asked me about where I obtained a license for wonderdek. As I mentioned by email I don't and never had had a license for wonderdesk. When I mentioned not liking the software I meant as a user as opposed to a technician. Both of my dedicated hosts, www.dialtoneinternet.net and www.venturesonline.com both use wonderdesk. During this time is when I felt that a product could be developed that was better.

Nothing has been taken from wonderdesk for use in DeskPRO. For one the code is written in PHP where I believe yours is written in CGI being being based upon DBman.

Either way Alex has a license for DeskPRO here and I am sure if you ask him he could compare the products to ensure there is no likeness between them.

As also explained by email, if you wish to make further threats to me I recommend you contact my lawyer whose address I have recently given you.

Thanks RedRum, you are right I have been a member here since 1998 I believe :) I used to run a links database in the time of Widgetz being here. I now have a Links SQL license but have not really implemented it yet. A bit more time and I hope to do so :) The PHP frontend is something I am looking forward to playing with.
---------------------------------------------
DeskPRO.com http://www.deskpro.com?r=gt
vBulletin.com Moderator and Support http://www.vbulletin.com/
Quote Reply
Quote:
I don't charge $8,500

Yeah, I don't understand how the cost of wonderdesk w/o the logo for the standard is 3,000 $'s more, and in the sql version 7,000 $'s more. That logo is worth that much money?
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Gossamer HelpDesk In reply to
I was also wondering about this:

Wonderdesk is based on dbman which costs nothing upfront to download, yet wonderdesk non-sql version is $3500 - how does that work?

Thats like a 3000% markup Wink and also why perldesk has become popular.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 12, 2002, 4:01 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I could understand stealing copyrighted code being illegal, but using it to create a similar script isn't illegal surely?

Yes it illegal if the software or the idea is patented. Amazon have patented the idea of the Shopping Cart System (using cookies to go through a store) and are trying to shut down all other sites and scripters who have ever done something similar!
Quote Reply
>>Yes it illegal if the software or the idea is patented.<<

Yes you are correct however I don't believe WonderDesk own the "helpdesk" patent Cool

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 12, 2002, 7:14 AM
Quote Reply
If that poster is really from wonderdesk.com, then he should learn the first thing about marking your product by association. You don't go accusing people of license fraud/code stealing on the basis of an open-ended comment.

I will remember that company next time a client asks for help desk system recommendations.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Quote:
Katana Man wrote:

Hmmm, that's interesting. We (at wonderdesk.com) don't have any record of you owning a WonderDesk license. Care to explain that?

Quote:

Then Katana Man wrote:

We don't mind competition, but it's a different story when someone uses the product without a license. That's called "stealing". Of course, using it to develop a similar product/method is also illegal in itself.

Whoops! Definitely proves the old lawyer's adage about never asking a question publicly without first knowing the answer. IMHO, an exceptionally bitter lesson when you realize the learning process has been publicly archived for 12257 registered users and at least that many guests.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
> >