Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

community plug in

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
community plug in
Greetings,

Will the community plug-in work with non-gossamer software? Say I want to create a universal login for DBman, Gmail and a SNITZ forum?

Thanks,

Bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] community plug in In reply to
I don't know for sure but I expect the answer will be no. The community plugin is likely to be just for Gossamer products. There is no way of tieing in any product with another, it would be impossible.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] community plug in In reply to
Thanks for the response Paul, but, impossible?

Bob

Quote Reply
Not impossible I would imagine, but pretty hard Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yeah fairly impossible. Every script has a different autentication process whether it be flatfile or sql or whatever. You'd have to have a worldwide consensus of programmers to use one authentication system to be able to create a plugin to tie any two or more together. Whereas Gossamer products use one authentication process enabling a plugin to be made.

It is possible to tie certain products together such as Links SQL and VBulletin but even that has to be a seperate plugin just for that function.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 13, 2003, 9:45 AM
Quote Reply
Psst .. Microsoft Passport. ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] community plug in In reply to
We are talking about perl scripts here made by intermediate to advanced programmers not a multi billion dollar company with the best developers in the world.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 13, 2003, 10:08 AM
Quote Reply
Ehh.. anyone can use Microsoft Passport technology on their websites to authorize customers. Why not integrate this into more products such as chat rooms, shopping carts (here's the big plus) and other components?

- wil
Quote Reply
Tell me how to integrate Links SQL with VBulletin using Microsoft Password...I'm all ears.
Quote Reply
Both product developers can develop their authentication system around Microsoft Passport. You'll have to contact Microsoft to get the specifics on their authentication system.

- wil
Quote Reply
I think this should be possible. As far as I know, community is an application that does all the user signup/authentification stuff. The application has a well-defined API, so anyone can interact with it. There are plugins for all products of GT, and it shouldn't be hard to use community with a non-GT product.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] community plug in In reply to
Sure you can do it on a one on one basis such as the vbulletin plugin, but I just meant you couldn't create a plugin to authenticate any product with another. There is no one authentication process you can hook into.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 13, 2003, 2:10 PM
Quote Reply
Which community plugin are you talking about ??

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Sir Up] community plug in In reply to
Sorry about the miscommunication Paul. I did not mean to ask the question in purely general terms. I am interested in a specific application - that is, getting the community plug in to work as a login for the GT software we have running on our server and one or two other programs.

If it is possible then, how$ difficult?

Bob

Quote Reply
Ok, in that case sure you can do it :)

It is probably quite a lengthy process to get it all working. This may be best tackled by GT as they have an in-depth knowledge of their own authentication system.

I'm guessing it won't be a cheap plugin/customization but you'd have to ask them for a quote.

You will probably get a faster answer using their contact form.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 13, 2003, 4:47 PM
Quote Reply
IMHO, I don't think, that would be a good idea to help Microsoft in their goal, to dominate of the world, using that Microsoft Passport "spyware" technology... Wink
Anybody implementing the Microsoft Passport, helps Microsoft to spread their technology in the world. Then later MS knows all data about all people in the world... I would not assist to that...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] community plug in In reply to
Actually that is soon to change. Microsoft will be allowing all users of their service to be able to control their personal details and how they are used. Later this will be filtered through to their other services.
Quote Reply
Hmmm, yes.
But what will guarantee, that Microsoft will not ever use any data stored in their database? Even if there are restrictions, admin (MS) can see all data. That's my first worry.
My second worry is, that this would lead to a centralized world, what I would not like. Even from security viewpoint is not a good idea... Frown A good hacker could get info from all people in the world?

Yes, it is very comfortable to store all your data in a central place. This has a lot advantage and a lot drawback.

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but I would not trust in MS, to keep my sensitive data in their central database... Shocked

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] community plug in In reply to
Quote:
Even if there are restrictions, admin (MS) can see all data.

Heh, of course. You can't run a business without access to client details.

Quote:
A good hacker could get info from all people in the world?

Well thats not just an issue with microsoft, most major companies use a centralized database. It's the only really efficient way of storing data.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MS Passport worries In reply to
Yes. My worry is only about a worldwide centralized personal data storage, what MS may successfully realize through MS Passport service Frown

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] MS Passport worries In reply to
What about companies like AOL too?...they do the same.

I don't see it as an issue. I'd certainly prefer a company like Microsoft to have hold of my details than a smaller company like, say Infopop (no disrespect intended) Cool.
Quote Reply
BTW: even AOL could be not compared to Microsoft. So I still have worries against MS Passport...

It seems we have different opinions... I respect your opinion, and I don't want to convince you.
Period. Let we stop at this point. We told our point, we can not get out more from this subject.

If others can add something new to that subject, they may express it.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
There's no need to end a healthy discussion. If you don't want to participate you don't have to :)

Quote:
BTW: even AOL could be not compared to Microsoft.

They can in a way, especially for AOL users, not so much for others. They probably store as much information as Microsoft do....you have your AOL internet account then that automatically gives you an email account which you can access from their .com or .co.uk address which either means they have a central databse or they share the data world-wide over their network. Then you have AOL instant messenger which can use the same logon as your aol account of a different one.

People seem to target Microsoft, but there are a lot of large companies doing the same - Yahoo also spring to mind.

I think maybe this is getting off topic.

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 1, 2003, 4:58 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
They (AOL) probably store as much information as Microsoft do
Eh, no. Just imagine how much Windows users are there. There are much more MS users than AOL.
And the most important thing: MS Passport can also store your PAYMENT information, credit card info, birth date, address, phone number, etc. (in Wallet service), what I would call VERY sensitive data!
AOL or Yahoo, never stores your credit card data in online databases...

A new info is, what I just read on Passport site, that MS decided to stop the Wallet service in middle of 2003. They say, they will delete all sensitive data from their database in middle of 2003... Will they?

Quote:
I think maybe this is getting off topic.
Yes, that's why I suggested to stop discussion here...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Quote:
AOL or Yahoo, never stores your credit card data in online databases...

Of course they do. AOL is an ISP. Yahoo also offer hundreds of paid services from hosting to investments to online stores.

Microsoft may have a broader user base due to how their products are deployed but I wouldn't say Yahoo and AOL are small :)

Anyway...

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 2, 2003, 2:53 AM
> >