Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

GT TOOLBAR questions

Quote Reply
GT TOOLBAR questions
Hi Alex & GT Staff,

it's great that now a GT Toolbar is out, but I have same questions/suggestions:
  1. How big should the Logo-Grafik be at maximum (Size and Bytes)?
  2. (How) can I change the links in the toolbar if I'm going to move my LinksSQL/Forum-installation from one server-folder to another
  3. How can/will the License-Agreement and all the texts during installation be modified (I think it don't make sense to have (only) a GT-License-Agreement during installation if the toolbar is provided as a MyWebPage-Toolbar)
  4. Is there a possibillity to integrate a quick-links-dropdown-menu to be configured and remotly changed by me (this would be a great issue for making money by selling toolbar-quick-links to link-owners)
  5. How will the ABOUT-Link be changed and will the Link "Get Custom Toolbar" be eleminated??

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Feb 6, 2003, 11:42 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] GT TOOLBAR questions In reply to
Hi Manu,

1. The logo should ideally be in an icon format (.ico file).

2. You won't be able to change the links, that is something we would need to charge you to do and provide you with a new toolbar. It's recommend you keep existing links (i.e. use redirection/symlinks) as otherwise all your users existing toolbars will break.

3. Good point, we will update the order form so you can place your own license agreement.

4. Right now, no. The links can only be hard coded into the toolbar.

5. The Get Custom Toolbar link will be removed, and all occurrences of Gossamer Toolbar will be replaced with whatever you want to call it.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] GT TOOLBAR questions In reply to
Hi Alex,

thanks for your quick reply.

To No. 4:

Are there any plans to provide the toolbar with remotly updateable links (from an admin-panel) as it this possible at other toolbar-products?

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
I happened to try out the yahoo toolbar a couple of days ago and I found it really annoying. Everytime you load internet explorer the Yahoo toolbar says "Contacting Yahoo..." and it takes about 10 seconds to load the toolbar. It grabs updated info every time you load it.

Obviously there are advantages to this as it allows you to keep the toolbar up to date but my personal opinion is that constant requests to a remote site can be problematic. Not only does it slow down the toolbar loading, but what if your webserver goes down or something like that...the toolbar will be inacessible.

I guess one way to bypass that is to download a configuration file and load the toolbar options from that file. At least that means if the website isn't accessible the toolbar can load still.

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 7, 2003, 10:44 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Manu,

Depending on the feedback and response we get, yes this might be an option.

One of the things we want to do is make the forum toolbar support a list of forums to restrict your search to. This would of course need to be dynamically updated, so putting dynamically updated remote links would be possible after that.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] GT TOOLBAR questions In reply to
I run GF as a restricted (registration only) site. Will the toolbar's forum search work if the user isn't currently logged on? Does it only work for those who place a fixed (not session) cookie?

I would also like to see the ability to change the target of the search...website vs. forum...if this is at all possible.

Thanks! Great idea guys!

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] GT TOOLBAR questions In reply to
Hi,

In regards to registration, it would work if the user was currently logged in, or the user had a remember me cookie set.

As for the search, we can build a custom toolbar with whatever buttons you like as a custom project. You just need to drop us an email with details on exactly what the toolbar should have.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
GT TOOLBAR bug? In reply to
Nice one, Alex.

I may well be my browser that's sick, but the toolbar seems to disappear when I close down the browser (Danish MSIE6).

John
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] GT TOOLBAR bug? In reply to
Hmm I know this is no help really but I can confirm it works with the English version of IE6 so this seems to be either to do with the Danish version or it is your installation.

Were you just guessing when you said it was your browser or do you have reason to believe it is...has it been playing up?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] GT TOOLBAR bug? In reply to
Yes, my browser has been playing up in various ways, and besides I wouldn't expect this to be a normal "feature" ... I'll try it on my office PC and see how it is there.

John
Quote Reply
Hi:

I hope it is OK to jump in here with some questions of my own! I am not sure about this one.... I like the idea, but I just bought Forum....

So, I have a Links install, and a Forum install. I would assume I would set this to default to a Links Install search.... but could it search either and/or both? Could a user easily select which site to search?

Also, Alex, I am sure you remember MY site! Wink Wiould I be able to set up an advanced serach that could search individual fioelds like Director, Animator, Title or characters?

Thank!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] GT TOOLBAR questions In reply to
Hi,

This would have to be something we would customize for you. =) It's all possible, just would need to be a custom job. If you can send us details of exactly how you want the toolbar to look, we can give you a quote.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.