Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

GT working on?

(Page 4 of 4)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] GT working on? In reply to
Wychwood wrote:
I agree.

It takes a few minutes for a member of staff to post a message. With all the concern in this thread you'd think they would respond to provide assurance, even if it's just "We will provide more info in due course" - but......they haven't.

They have neglected the people that made GT what it is today. I can't believe people still come here hoping for updates. My advice would be to move on. There are better products out there with active communities made by companies treating their clients properly.

Hi Wychwood, you are right, posting a comment should not take much time.
But I think GT Stuff wrote all excuses they can think off in the last years. There are no serious excuses left anymore...

For me, it's not that easy to leave GT
1. I spent quite a lot of money for glinks...
2. I like my page with glinks
3. I don't know how to integrate my database into joomla...

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] GT working on? In reply to
Hello everyone,

Our deepest apologies for the silence on the boards.

Things have been going well here at GT, with the exception of resource
allocation. Because we've been so busy, we readily admit that our
products have taken a bit of a back seat. This economic downturn has
affected everyone, including many of our customers, and we've been doing
everything we can to assist them, which unfortunately takes resources
away from updating our core products.

We make ourselves available though via our support form, and we even
post our toll-free number on the website, so if you wish to stay in
touch, please do feel free.

Once we get a handle on things, we do plan to get back to what got us to
where we are today, which is the core suite of products.

In the meantime, we're now a lot more settled into our new offices, check out
the images, etc. here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/blog/introducing-gt-office-20-no-its-not-a-publishing-suite/

Thanks for hanging in there with us,

Gossamer Threads.
Quote Reply
Phew, I guess we can relax now we can look at a 6 month old blog entry Unsure
Quote Reply
Smile
Quote Reply
Wychwood wrote:
Phew, I guess we can relax now we can look at a 6 month old blog entry Unsure

Whistle

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
I'm just confused as to why a company would effectively be putting itself out of business by assisting other companies? I mean as a business plan if your not running your business it dies. Would it not better help companies to have a better product to run their sites?
Quote Reply
Re: [LordStryfe] GT working on? In reply to
Jack's post didn't make sense, unless I've misunderstood it. How does an economic downturn mean they are busier?

Word spreads fast and it spreads even faster over the Internet. Word will eventually get around that Gossamer-Threads neglect customers and don't meet deadlines etc. If they're that busy they must be earning money so can afford to pay staff to frequent the forum and work on their products.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Nov 3, 2009, 3:10 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [DeadMan] GT working on? In reply to
Hi Everyone,

I know there has not been nearly as much communication here as there should have been, and for that I'm truly sorry.

Unfortunately, we haven't posted an update as we haven't had good news to post. Despite our best intentions (and we know where that road leads to), we have not been able to dedicate the people needed to product development. Each time we try, we get pulled away by big projects and we end up spending more and more time on custom development which has been allowing us to continue to grow. As you know, what makes our products so good is their flexibility. We've been using them as a base for sites small and large, a few of which we try and feature on our blog and our way of communicating what we've been doing..

We have every intention of returning to our core products and putting out a fresh set of updates, I just don't want to promise anything. I know that's not that helpful an answer, and partly why we have been so quiet, but I hope it's better then silence.

We do continue to support our products, and actively develop and work on them for customers. If you do have a project that has been on hold, we are more then happy to look at the job and see if it's something we can do for you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me either through private message, email (alex at gossamer-threads dot com) or by phone (604) 687-5804.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] GT working on? In reply to
Hey Alex,

Sounds like its time to add a staff member to work on GT stuff and NEVER move that person no matter the circumstance. When you hire that person stash them in the basement of that new office and other then payday forget they exists.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] GT working on? In reply to
Trust me, it's something we've talked about many a time - that's how we got the frontend of the forum done. But then some cool new project comes along that we don't have staff for and he gets pulled kicking and screaming onto it.

All joking aside though, it is something we are really looking at, as we have done so many different things over the past few years, that to put them together as an updated product just makes sense. It's just hard to get the developer time when so many immediate paid projects are pressing and requiring time.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
That says it all - the updates you’re providing are all FREE. I have been waiting silently because I still like the free updates and understand the alternative is to charge for updates.

Maybe its time to take a poll and see how many people would be interested in paying for updates?

Poor Andy got grief for charging an annual fee to cover support for his plugin. I cried when I heard the news w00t now simply beg and plead for help, sent beer once to bribe him...

Everyone likes free but then complains when things are not done fast enough, I am silently waiting for my FREE update. YET would consider a reasonable update fee to get things moving.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] GT working on? In reply to
SandraR wrote:
That says it all - the updates you’re providing are all FREE. I have been waiting silently because I still like the free updates and understand the alternative is to charge for updates.

Everyone likes free but then complains when things are not done fast enough, I am silently waiting for my FREE update. YET would consider a reasonable update fee to get things moving.

Not 100% sure on this but a few years ago when I purchased GForum I was told that only updates for the current version were free and that you would have to pay an additional fee if you wanted to upgrade to the next release.

SandraR wrote:
Poor Andy got grief for charging an annual fee to cover support for his plugin. I cried when I heard the news w00t now simply beg and plead for help, sent beer once to bribe him...

If you want to bribe Mr Newby he has a link to his Wish List in his sig. Wink
Quote Reply
I actually emailed in requests for customer jobs but were told they would be in the next release and that they won't do them then. Sadly I have already begun looking for newer software that is more up to date and offers more support. As far as paid updates I don't mind those as long as they are useless updates. Projects should be prioritized by the company and new projects should not be started until others are completed. It displays to customers that the company is not reliable about meetings deadlines and working with existing customers. Everyone has been hit with the economy but driving away your customer base to other companies doesn't help your companies prospects.
Quote Reply
Re: [LordStryfe] GT working on? In reply to
LordStryfe wrote:
Projects should be prioritized by the company and new projects should not be started until others are completed. It displays to customers that the company is not reliable about meetings deadlines and working with existing customers. Everyone has been hit with the economy but driving away your customer base to other companies doesn't help your companies prospects.

Your are right! We are customers, too!
Why do we have to wait! Better GT should tell new customers. Sorry we have no time for your project...
I think we paid for updates when we owned GT Products. It's not fair, to prefer new customers with new projects...

At the moment I can not see any future for GT Products. In the past, they promised updates in half a year or next year.
But did you realize, that both, Alex and Jack did not tell any timeframe. This are really bad news... Crazy

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
I was about to buy the Message Board, a year ago. Decided to wait for that update. Why? Because it would integrate perfectly with my GLinks and community etc etc.
A year later, I have already gone elsewhere after reading that there are no updates, ETA or anything.
Not just that. Im looking for options on another CMS for both my links sites.

I love links, got it down on how it works and am very comfortable on modifying it.
But I also see its falling behind in many many areas.

Ive used GT since links flat file, beta and free... before the sql version, when Alex was the only one around and the site looked like it was attacked by a spider (black logo red letters I think). Actually before that but dont remember the design.

Its a terrible shame, that I consider myself a loyal customer to the bone and I have to go looking for options because I dont see the product evolving to todays needs.

Waited and waited, the same thing GT is doing to us, I myself will have to do. Business is business, I too will have to go elsewhere looking for better business.

I only own 2 licenses, Im guessing im not a big client, but I can tell you Im a big supporter and recommend your products to every web developer I know and even teach them how to use it.
Not any more. Them as I, need more from our CMS.

Sorry GT, but like you, I too need to move on.

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] GT working on? In reply to
It's risky risking one's business model based on softwares which have no openly published roadmap short term (quarterly) and long term (yearly). 7 years back gmail and atmail were at par on features. Look at where atmail is now.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] GT working on? In reply to
But they do have time to do stuff like:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/blog/the-great-green-roof-of-gossamer/
and write blog post about that.

Smile

Last edited by:

Payooo: Nov 19, 2009, 4:11 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] GT working on? In reply to
Says it all really. Obviously BBQ'ing is Gossamer's priority.

....and I do not believe for one minute that staff are so busy that they do not have time to visit the forum. For God's sake, they could logon for 5 minutes at home in the evening and answer a couple of posts.

The bottom line is they don't care about the forum any more or the customers that use it, for whatever reason. Maybe their scripts aren't selling well and they are focusing on hosting and customization work - I don't know.

Hypertherm - atmail looks superb. Their mail client interface looks amazing.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Nov 19, 2009, 4:56 AM
Quote Reply
In 2002 gmail and atmail were almost similar in feature sets. Today atmail is more of a groupware (exchange alternative on linux) solution, though we settled for axigen (again a wonderful true exchange alternative). Axigen is from same company which got ravantivirus (AV SW for Linux Mail servers much before ClamAV was stable) but product was killed by M$ which bought everything and integrated into their SW/offerings as something of their own.

Thanks
HyTC
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Wychwood wrote:
The bottom line is they don't care about the forum any more or the customers that use it, for whatever reason. Maybe their scripts aren't selling well and they are focusing on hosting and customization work - I don't know.

I think you're right. I wonder how long this thread will remain in this forum. That's not a good signboard for new customers...

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi Guys,

Not sure what I can add here except what I said in post #83 and #85. But to try and answer some of your questions/comments:

Payoo, Ian writes the blog posts and those are not taking away from developer time, so one is not really related to the other (although I understand this may have been made in jest). The posts help a lot in attracting people to Gossamer and coming to work here. More developers == more we can get done. =)

Sandra, yes, we have thought about making paid updates to prioritize development higher. It might be the way forward, but I realize that might be just as unappetizing to a lot of people here. However when the alternative is no updates, or really lengthy delays, it's not much of a choice is it. Again, the main problem is our current paid workload greatly outpaces what we do in terms of product sales. We have 25 full time people and actively hiring more to keep up.

LordStryfe, sorry to hear about that. Not sure where we dropped the ball there, but if you are at all still interested, please drop me an email with what you had asked and I'd be happy to help.

Paul, we banned you from this forum a number of years back for your cross site scripting attacks against other members and denial of services attacks. I'm not sure why you keep persisting on coming back. The trolling and abuse and sniping you continue to level on Andy is unjustified and not welcome.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,
when I'm looking back, August was a month where many GT updates came out.
What about 2010 Whistle

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
No update, no correction since May 12, 2009, when we will have new features?
Quote Reply
Re: [Janio] GT working on? In reply to
I've been monitoring this four-year old thread - it started in February 13 2008 and no action yet.

The forum is not easily accessible from the Gossamer Threads landing page.

For sure I believe Jack should come out and officially declare the product line R.I.P.

It's the month of love 2011 folks but all good things come to an end.

I've lost track of how many licenses I have for GT products - should be at least six.

My custom Links installed crashed and burnt a couple years ago and I was awaiting upgrades etc. before trying to resurrect.

Not to be.

It appears - G.T. will wait us all out under we get bored, die or go away Shocked
Belize Tourism & Country Guide
Belize News
Quote Reply
Re: [mromero] GT working on? In reply to
Just one short post so we don't skip 2012...
Sad to see no updates to GT products Frown
> >