Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

News/Article script

Quote Reply
News/Article script
Would love to see another aspect to Community or standalone....

Create an online news article / column type system.

Something that could archive the news, allow "reporters" to submit articles, present columns that could list articles in specific columns, etc. Something along the lines of ZDnet or even CNN or other newspapers that have online news.

Links SQL can possibly come close..

Any ideas or comments?

Lance Rasmussen

Bowlingzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: [LanceBZone] News/Article script In reply to
I am using Links for that purpose already :-)

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
NewsMan (a DBMan mod) does some of that already.
Quote Reply
interactivetools has ArticleManager. I think it is currently uses a flatfile database. They are also a Vancouver company.

They also have a GoForum add on that will allow people to automatically create/link to a thread for discussion of the article. The list included Gossamer Forum.

They have a free htmlArea java script that looks pretty neat and it looks like they use Gforum as their support forum script.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
I use Links SQL for this purpose. It works great. You do need to modify it a bit, but not that much really. Although, of course, the possibilities are endless, so you can keep hacking it, and create cool new features. I can recommend the PageBuilder plug-in, which will add some flexibility.

Re. HTMLArea: You can easily integrate that, if you want.

John
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] News/Article script In reply to
I think dbMan, Links SQL and GForum can all be made into excellent news scripts. What I have been hoping for and has been requested by others is a new product/script or a plugin to make make a news script without extensive hacking or modifications. I personally don't have the knowledge to complete and maintain these kinds of modifications and would prefert to pay for a script like article manager rather than spending days modifing a Links SQL ($450), dbMan SQL ($350) or GForum ($200) to do what I want/need. TheThere also appears to be a commercial market for a product like this because of the commercial success of GT's products, the continuing availability of other vendors products like ArtMan and the news portal scripts like postnuke and ez publish.
--
Rob

Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] News/Article script In reply to
I have to say, that no matter what script you use, it is a painful beginning. I bought article manager when I was frustrated with LSQL and it is fine script, but customizing the templates is alot of work and even though I was frustrated with LSQL, I was more than half way there. I have now done a second site with LSQL and I have to say, it is pretty exciting script to work with. With the addition of a few plugins, it is really amazing. Article Manager is good, don't get me wrong, in fact, their support is better than I have ever seen, and for what it is, it is a great script (Although, MoveableType is very very similar). I use their Page Publisher Plugin for smaller sites. Once I understood how LSQL works (and DBManSQL too, I guess!) I never want to use another product. It is very versatle.

It's all in the templates. Sly

Ok, mostly in the templates. Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] News/Article script In reply to
Thanks for the input.

It would be nice to see GT develope a specific news article based system based on their great tools. Using the dynamic templates, it would be great.

Lance
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
It would be nice to see GT develope a specific news article based system based on their great tools. Using the dynamic templates, it would be great.

YES!!
--
Rob