Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Password Protection

Quote Reply
Password Protection
Hi,

In the 'Resources' section, there is a link to a password protection program: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ces/jump.cgi?ID=1025

Unfortunately, it looks as though the site that redirects to has been updated and I can no longer find the program. Anyone know where I might still be able to download it? Also, does anyone know if the program works on Unix as well as Windows 2000 platforms?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [Fierceman] Password Protection In reply to
Might be better to post a GT product related question in the appropriate forum, than in the general Discussion forum.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Password Protection In reply to
It would be most appropriate as a "Veteran" to prepare a List of where to post what instead of just repeatitively making the same comment on and on. I really do not know the Grading System on this Forum and if it is related to number of posts made, then no wonder I am finding the same repeatitive "a directionless advisory post" being repeated quite often

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Aug 30, 2002, 2:47 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Password Protection In reply to
In Eliot's defense, Fierceman didn't mention what script he was using in his original post and so by asking him to post in the appropriate product forum it was helping us to identify what script he was using as well as keeping all related threads together rather than having them spread across the forum.
Quote Reply
Fierceman: There's a section on the site stating that LockIt (the program the link in the resources section refers to) is "no longer available for download and is now 'nonsupported.'" Sorry.Unsure

I'll remove it from the resources section.
Hi,

I think it would be very handy if search could be done on ID-1025, but i am not sure if that is there. probably that ID is an indicator a sort of "circumstantial evidence" ....Smile

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Quote Reply
Anup: the link with ID 1025 isn't there because I deleted it.Wink
Why the attack? I simply recommended that the user post the question in a relevant GT product forum, like I recommended to you, and how did you react? In a very defensive manner!!!

I would recommend that you better respect users who have been around here longer than you have! If you have a personal beef or problem with me, PM me, rather than fueling debates in public forums!!!!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Password Protection In reply to
Wow! This response is quite surprising to say the least...Smile
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Password Protection In reply to
Quote:
Why the attack?
Attack? or Counter Attack.....I take orders from the rightful admins of this forum.

Quote:
I would recommend that you better respect users who have been around here longer than you have!

As the saying goes.... "Respect Should Be Commanded and Not DEMANDED"

And BTW I don't nurture any grudges with anyone whatsoever......not the least with who try to instigate me into that. I am not the one who would not let the World rest in Peace because I do not have agenda of selling any arms or so....

As for respect, i repeat try commanding it than demanding it and u'll have many doing it. If demanded ummmm the days of slavery are over!

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Quote Reply
Hi,

My intention was certainly not to start arguments Smile. I apologize for posting in the wrong forum... I didn't realize that the script I was looking for was a GT product - I thought it was a third party addition that can just be made to work with the GT products. In any case, I do not take offence to Stealth's response.

Just wondering what the best way would be to password protect a directory that is hosted on a Windows 2000 server... For Unix machines all I do is copy the .htaccess file into that directory, but with Windows I'm not sure. The directory needs to be protected against http access, but not anything else, because some of the cgi scripts need to access data from within the protected directory - I just need it protected against browser access.

Thanks! (Can't we all just get along? Tongue)
Quote Reply
Hi Fierceman...

You posted in the correct area as your issue was relavent to the resource area of GT and not the forum. Not a problem at all!

Description on the Discussion Forum.
"Post questions about Gossamer Threads as a company or new ideas for programs you'd like to see."
Quote Reply
Hi,

For a free password management and directory protection script check on following link:

Windows Version Password Protection And Management

I have tried the *nix version and its great....and is easy to setup

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Thanks anup,

Is there anything simpler that you know of? The script has a lot of extra features that I don't really need... All I need is to be able to protect my /cgi-bin/links/admin directory against http access, but allow other cgi scripts to access whatever they need from that directory. This is really easy to implement with Unix using .htaccess, but with Windows 2000 I don't even know where to begin...
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just see if the following link is helpful. Its pretty simple and can work on any password file where the passwords are stored in encrypted form... I am not sure but for Windows it is .nsonfig instead of .htaccess

http://solutionscripts.com/...s_denied/index.shtml

If you are running IIS then you could also check following link:

http://www.ezine.com/QandA/IISpassword.html

Thnx

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Sep 4, 2002, 1:58 PM
Quote Reply
I've used Access Denied for a few years now on various different projects. Its very simple to install (once you understand how it works), and is quick and easy to add users etc. Very good if you just have a smallish number of users, but could get difficult to administer with large numbers of users.
Piers
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] Password Protection In reply to
For a larger number of users, the account manager lite is quite good. Fierceman just wanted to protect the admin script just for personal use and so i think access denied would serve the purpose.

For a very large user base even .htaccess scheme is not workable from speed point of view.....

Anup