Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script

Quote Reply
Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script
I would like to suggest the possibility of a Gossamer Form Script system.

I know that there are tons of form scripts out there, like AlienForm2, Soupermail, etc., but none of them does all the things that are needed.

There could be a flatfile version and a mysql version, and maybe php.

Perhaps the mysql could be built on the LinksSQL template and tags backbone so that fields could be easily added and modified.

Okay, there's my two cents...

Smile

DT

Last edited by:

DogTags: Oct 2, 2001, 10:14 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
Erm...I dont quite understand what you are wanting. Why use MySQL or flatfile databases when all the data is sent to the user???

Just seems a bit of a waste of time programming when there are loads of scripts out there that have most of the bells and whistles already Sly

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
What features would you look for in a full feature form script? I'll program a PHP/MySQL/Flat File one for you if you are rich Smile.

After I get my hands on a copy of the PHP front end to Links SQL I plan to get more involved around here with making mods, maybe I'll make this one.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
Quote:
I'll program a PHP/MySQL/Flat File one for you if you are rich .

.....and I'll make a perl version if you aren't rich :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 3, 2001, 3:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
lol Smile
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
check out this site ....

http://www.technobreeze.net/php/emaillist/

they got a form script too ... this person updates their scripts almost every month....

BUT why can't use the form things from one of the GT scripts ???? I've been thinking about this recently and trying to decide which way to go .....

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
Take a look at this:

http://demo.wiredon.net/test/list.cgi

Is that similar to what you are looking for?

I wrote it recently and is uses MySQL.

If it's not, just let me know what you are looking for and I'd be happy to create something.
Quote Reply
Or were you meaning this URL:

http://www.technobreeze.net/perl/form2email/
Quote Reply
Paul,

yep, that's it ... I got a little lazy there ... not bad stuff there's another site that's almost as good but ...

list.cgi
ahhh, gotta sign up to try it out ??? bummer ... tomorrow then ...
you gonna provide a demo verison???

ummm..... got a file index on your xyz and http access for a xyz folder ... hmmmm

Quote Reply
Signing up only requires a couple of details like username/password/email etc....and no it won't be used to spam anyone who signs up - it is purely a demo for me to test with.

>>
you gonna provide a demo verison???
<<

Thats what that is :)

>>ummm..... got a file index on your xyz and http access for a xyz folder ... hmmmm
<<

Sorry?....

If you mean you found a directory index somewhere or other then yep thats ok, it is purposely setup like that - all the important files are hidden using IndexIgnore :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 3, 2001, 8:10 AM
Quote Reply
Geez, you need something more than Soupermail: http://soupermail.sourceforge.net

I have never come across ANY script that does more than this beauty.

Database Integration
PGP usage
Generate unique numbers
File uploads

etc...

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
Im gonna leave that baby for dust with mine...lol Blush
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
Hi All

What we need is a script that will allow us to gather custom customer text data from multiple fields per item; store them in some sort of a dated non-public, secure db; and then have a secure means to view each day's results - probably through HTTPS. We might want to download that day's file, as well. The script would also have to do math functions.

This way, the data is gathered, stored, and viewed all in a secure dated environment for each new day.

We need to create a new file for each new day to prevent downloading a file that is being written to at the same moment AND to better track orders. If an order is placed on 01NOV2001, we would simply view or download the /01NOV2001.txt, and everything for that day would be there. The data for 02NOV2001 would be on the /02NOV2001.txt file, and so forth...

We also want to use templates for each db so that we can set up multiple types of databases.

Yes, we know that several really good scripts are out there that can do math, write to db's, encrypt, etc. We currently use AlienForm2, and we are looking into Soupermail.

However, the two things that we have so far not found are 1) the ability to create a new file each day to make sure that the previous day's file cannot be corrupted and is safe to view or, if need be, download; and 2) a secure viewer of the db.

The secure viewer would have to 1) format the output of the raw data into something that our machinery can use and that we can copy right from our browser window, add it to a floppy, and then insert into our machines; and 2) give you the option to create multiple pages so that we could view one section of the db at a time to prevent crashing the browser.

The formatting issue could be something like being able to specify which delimiter you want (pipe, comma, tab, etc.), whether to include any headers/footers, or other stuff.

If the system is mysql-based, the secure viewer could sort any number of ways, including date, and then print to the browser just about any format. The flatfile viewer could look into the data directory and present the user with the optional files to view, plus the formatting options.

None of the secure data would have to be emailed to the admin or anyone else, but could be with an encryption option. The idea is to create a secure environment from start to finish for utilizing the data.

Since SQL is becoming more and more the way to go, and because LinksSQL is so sensibly written and organized, it seemed only logical to look to Gossamer for a great form script with tons of features.

I can only imagine what a flurry of ideas, feature requests, and mods and hacks would come out of offering something like a FormSQL script.

If anyone knows of a form script that can do the dated, secure stuff and viewing that I have mentioned, in addition to math stuff, I would be most grateful for a nudge in the right direction.

Many thanks to all for your help SmileSmile

DT

Last edited by:

DogTags: Oct 3, 2001, 11:34 AM
Quote Reply
A GT written script is guaranteed to rock.

However I have some free time tonight and over the next few days and would be happy to create this for you or for everyone. I am happy to implement the features requested.

I don't want to tread on any toes but the offer is there.....

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 3, 2001, 11:29 AM
Quote Reply
Hi RedRum

I'm going to try the TechnoBreeze script since it appears to include a db-viewer and looks like it can do math, too. I gotta see if it create separate, daily logs and store them above public_html...

However, given the terrific Gossamer community, I can just imagine people going nuts over creating the ultimate form program.

I happen to believe that the Gossamer forum is the one to beat, no matter where you look...just my humble opinion...

Thanks for the offer to create a script. We just might take you up on it if the technobreeze script doesn't quite do the job. If you write one, maybe it could be called UltimateForm...

Your offer is greatly appreciated, as is all of the help that you provide throughout this forum SmileSmile

Thanks a ton!

DT

Last edited by:

DogTags: Oct 3, 2001, 11:51 AM
Quote Reply
No problem, hope it does the job for you.
Quote Reply
Paul,
Yep, that's what I meant, I was short for time last night so couldn't PM ... I was wondering if you had a different login or explanation html page and start lopping off the rest of the url and ended up at your main directory at your subdomain ... I used xyz in case the ward off some malicous intent.

Interesting script, looks something like the GNU mailing list ... I used to get mail for FINK ... a program that helps us MAC users to complile *nix based programs like GIMP and Xwindows and such.

IN general:

Looks like GT is going for the full portal affect ... hmmm ... I had imagined that a banner program would come instead. wwwThreads plugin --> G-Forum adcycle plugin ---> G-Banners ... well I was hoping, hehe I'll stick with phpAdsNew for now.

Now a form based solution would be interesting ... but I'm in more of need for FULL Blown user/customer based management system ... like along the lines of PHPprojekt/phpHelpDesk/time/gcdb/phpGroupware or even to the extent of ubersmith.

Paul, I surprised that you haven't done something more like this ... be a really good way to keep your projects and work organized.

just an idea ...

Quote Reply
Hi,

Sounds like DBMan SQL! You give the default user add permission but nothing else. Now you set up your form to submit to db.cgi with the proper variables. You log in and have add/modify/delete/search options. Then it's just a matter of customizing searches (which with DBMan SQL 2 is all template based).

Since it's all in SQL, you don't need to worry about conflicts.

Let me know what you think,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
the darkness the darkness ...

hehe, thought about using regular DBman to do the same thing, since I'm registered for that ... I looked at a lot of the other options since they had extra billing options that would be needed but then again I seemed to have gone off on a tangent Blush

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Suggestion: Gossamer Form Script In reply to
Thanks, one and all.

I'm going to try hacking an existing form script to create the dated daily files. Time to cross my fingers...Wink

DT

Quote Reply
Out of boredom mainly I continued with this project and should have a beta finished tommorrow.

Here are the features:

Template based
Template parser has the ability to send perl output to templates via <%TAGS%> - like links2.
Specify required form fields
Easily configured from one configuration file
Turn file uploads on or off
Unlimited file upload fields
Block/Allow uploads with certain extensions (eg.. exe,vbs)
Ability to view uploaded files on success page
Store form input in a file for later use. Can use a default name like input.txt or be named by day.
Use a custom database delimiter for the input file
Send an auto-response to the person who filled in the form
Send an auto-response to the administrator
All emails are template based as well as the actual HTML pages
Ability to use either Sendmail or SMTP
Administrator can specify a file to be attached to the email sent to the person submitting the form
Ability to block/filter bad characters
Ability to block/filter expletives (swear words)

I still have features to add like PGP etc.......and just need to finish the automated setup script and it will then be ready.

I'll post a link to the main page for the script at WiredON tommorrow.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 13, 2001, 4:54 PM
Quote Reply
Hey, RedRum

Wow, your boredom sure is productive! I finally did manage to hack AF2 to create exactly the kind of file that I need. It's pretty neat. However, I am really looking forward to your system. It looks like it will be terrific.

CoolCool

DT
Quote Reply
Hey,

OK I finally got it finished. I began writing it with the intention that it would be free but I changed my mind half way through writing it.

The price (including free unlimited upgrades is just $15).

However, because I'm not as mean as everyone thinks I am....I've decided to let GT members have a free copy. Angelic

The zip file comes with 3 files, setup.cgi, upgrade.cgi and README.txt - setup.cgi is pre-prepared with the key code so you can ignore the readme and just upload setup.cgi and chmod to 755.

The download server will be active for a day or two so people can have the time to download/install the script and then I'll be disabling it so GT members wanting upgrades or non-GT members wanting to download the script for the first time, must pay $15.

upgrade.cgi is used for upgrading...duh...you just run it and it grabs updated files without overwriting the config file or templates.

Anyway here are the full details:

http://www.wiredon.net/form/

I've set up a demo of Gossamer-Forum on my local server so you can post any question/comment/installation issues/features there without disrupting this site.

http://box.perlmad.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi

Thanks.