Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Custom IE Toolbars for GT products...

Quote Reply
Custom IE Toolbars for GT products...
Hi. Please note, I did confer with GT on this post :)

We now offer a new toolbar creation service, which can be linked into LinksSQL, GForum, GCommunity, and pretty much all GT products Smile

The whole thread on our site can be found here;

http://www.ultranerds.com/...rum.cgi?post=714#714

I don't really want to post a duplicate thread, so please see the above one (on our forums).

If you would like to discus this service, please either PM/email me, or feel free to ask your questions in our forum: http://ultranerds.com/...gforum.cgi?forum=55;

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Custom IE Toolbars for GT products... In reply to
Excuse me for asking but isn't this advertising for your services and not directly related to GT products?
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Custom IE Toolbars for GT products... In reply to
Not really. It links into GT products (as I said, GForum, GCommunity, LinksSQL, etc). As I said, I did get permission from Jack at GT before making the post :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
$250 seems a tad pricey for this product line. There is software out there that can create comparable toolbars, and they range in price from free to less than $100. I'm trying a free one, and it is quite good. Also includes popup blocker feature and all required supportive backend HTML pages. But it does not (yet) do search result highlighting. I saw another good one of $24.95. And, the software is very user-friendly and idiot-proof. I was able to create a complex toolbar in less than ten minutes - and you got full control over the GUI, including menu icons. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I thought I'd share my experience with creating toolbars. It is a great idea, either way.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Custom IE Toolbars for GT products... In reply to
Thats up to you. The software I purchased was certainly not cheap, which is why they are priced at $250. Not being funny, but GT charge exactly the same.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Things and trends may be changing as many people are getting into this - both in terms of providing custom toolbars and providing software to create custom toolbars. Mind you, you fall in the former category, so there are, of course, extra charges than if someone did it their self. And knowing you, you would do a top notch job. I just thought people should be aware that there are alternatives if they don't have the cash flow to have someone else do it for them. Out of curiosity, which software did you purchase?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Yeah :)

Just so people know, as Dan said, there is alternative software out there.. but for those of you who don't have time / the knowledge (and trust me, the more advanced versions, which use XML files, are not that easy to grasp), then this is something we may be able to do for you.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
People loose sight of the various "hidden" costs of something.

What you are "buying" here is the _service_ of creating one, the time of someone who has experience with the software, and can fix things, set one up, handle quirks and problems, and such in sort order.

I've found "free" to be, very often, expensive. And, based on one report (probably biased) M$ is doing the same thing against open source. I don't believe it, since I've wasted more of my life trying to make M$ products work (not even work as advertised) than any other single task except possibly sleeping.

If it takes you 2-3 days to make your toolbar, and you spend 2-3 hours a day working on it, you've invested a significant amount of time. Most likely, you've used the standard and obvious features, but not the more complicated or hidden -- or subtle features.

It's simply perspective. If you have the time and skills to invest in playing with creating a toolbar, and can take that away from other tasks or things you need to -- or would rather be -- doing (the sun is out, the weather is nice, life is moving on...) you can choose that.

If you'd rather have it done for you, and ready to plug in, we (Andy) can do that for you.

If you've purchased other products from us, or have a service or support contract, I'm sure he can work out some better rates.

But, as I've said many times over the years in different messages, it's all about "time". There is only so much time available, and it has to be used, paid for, made profitable, etc in order to continue to provide services. It's not about the software -- it's about time. The software is only a marker of time, and an incredible sucker-upper of time ;)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Custom IE Toolbars for GT products... In reply to
I didn't want to drag this out, as I didn't want to flame your new service. For many people, this is a great service - cost effective in terms of time saved compared to doing it theirselves (especially if they are not particularily computer literate). [As an aside, no, I'm not a client. I create most of my own plugins (subject to future release), CGI-Perl/PHP scripts, etc.]. My point is that there is an alternative for those with the time or lack of money, and who possess the ability to create or learn to create their own toolbars. I downloaded a shareware toolbar creation software (Toobar Studio; $79 US). I was able to create a top notch toolbar (that includes Popup Blocker, Zoom In/Out feature, Highlighting and Find-in-Page feature, Auto-Update feature, and ability to fully customize the toolbar including colour schemes, fonts and graphics - to name a few). Took less than 30 minutes - toolbar has aforementioned features, and 6 drop down menus and search box. Not a steep learning curve, but it is relative. I am a quick learner went it comes to this sort of thing. Many people are not and/or just don't have the time. Sometimes best to cut your losses, and have someone else do it for you. I wouldn't do tranny work on my car (I did once, and it was a diaster that in the end cost me more). But at least if you do it yourself (if you can), you can always readily adjust and change your toolbar over time without additional charges - especially changes outside the XML file, if the toolbar is XML-based. Different folks, different strokes. At any rate, best of success with your newest business venture! And by that, I'm most sincere.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
>> Not a steep learning curve, but it is relative. I am a quick learner

>> I create most of my own plugins (subject to future release), CGI-Perl/PHP scripts, etc.].

Case and point :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Toolbar Studio...
Interesting and seems easy to use ...

:-)

Anup