Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

GT Lib consistency...

Quote Reply
GT Lib consistency...
In order to facilitate usage of single location, symlinked GT libs it would be most convenient that the same is complete .. HCF (Highest Common Factor) of all the GT libs of all the GT Applications. Currently, it is not and one needs to do a lot of copying around...

HyTC.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] GT Lib consistency... In reply to
Hi Anup,

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow what you mean? Do you mean automatic symlinking of the GT libs directory?

We are looking at separating out that as an install option (i.e. where do you want the GT libs installed).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] GT Lib consistency... In reply to
Comparing the GT Libs of GCommunity, GMAIL, LSQL, GFORUM

If everything needs to be symlinked to GT of Gcommunity or GMail , it wouldn't work out unless missing stuff from other applications are copied over to the symlinked directory...

Quote:
We are looking at separating out that as an install option (i.e. where do you want the GT libs installed).

Yes that would indeed be helpful if an option of automatic symlinking and upgrade (if needed) on second/third .... GT Application install

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Sep 1, 2004, 2:07 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [All] GT Lib consistency... In reply to
Quote:
it wouldn't work out unless missing stuff from other applications are copied over to the symlinked directory

Hmmm, maybe you need to release the GT modules GPL and put a link to the modules up on the site? Especially GT::SQL and GT::Template :) How does GPAN sound?

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] GT Lib consistency... In reply to
Do you mean that all GT libs going to something like:

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/GT....

Which would possibly just require a

use GApplication::mod_perl in startup.pl file?

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] GT Lib consistency... In reply to
Quote:
Hmmm, maybe you need to release the GT modules GPL and put a link to the modules up on the site?
Might as well put them on CPAN then. =) You never know..

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
You certainly have my vote. I would *really* love to be able to use those two modules in projects. I use HTML::Template now and it's great and all but there are just a few things I miss from GT::Template.

~Charlie
Quote Reply

Quote:
Had to dig this thread out. This is Still not made simple. SpellCheck not in the Glinks3 GT libs so symlinking will not work... yes suggestions may be that copy over ... but that's not like talking in 2005 we are still in 2002 if we have to do that release after release.

Glinks3 Breaks Gossamer Mail on more than 1 counts. Are there any plans of really giving this a thought and firm shape in practise :: central GT libs :: rather than keeping it in indefinite period of abeyance.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] GT Lib consistency... In reply to
I would also welcome GT lib separation.
I had a suggestion related to this, in following thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=273670#273670

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Why not look at it from the upside down? Use mod_rewrite or aliases for your script paths, but put all the OEM/Programs BELOW the GT Engine code. Consider them highly advanced plugins to the core/base code, that overrides the base code, rather than "hooking" into it.

Code:

cgi-bin/
admin/
GT/
LinksSQL/ (base/shared lib path //.../cgi-bin/admin/GT)
GForum/
user_scripts/
gforum.cgi (init path ../admin/Gforum/*)
lsql_add.cgi
lsql_review.cgi
lsql_page.cgi

To make it more compatible, you could make a links.cgi that took a do= parameter, and get rid of all the user scripts in favor of one dispatcher.

To get "pretty" urls, use mod_rewrite to shorten paths.

Putting the GT::Template and GT::SQL engines on CPAN is a potentially good idea, since the real functionality comes from the Links SQL wrapper code for user authentication and global object set up. If you do release those objects, you'd want to consider slicing out the code in Links SQL that does the authentication, and set up, so that the modules are usable "out of the box" and all a user had to do was actually come up with something to do with the modules. Without the logon/authentication/init codes the modules are good, but still just a cryptic toolbox.

It would mean a restructuring of the Links SQL program, to pull the generic modules/parts out of the tight integration with the OEM Links SQL application.

Although, building in a skelleton application, that branches to the search, add, modify, etc routines, but leaves them empty wouldn't be a bad idea either. Since most applications being built would be similar to Links, releasing the framework would make the modules usable, but the actual code would not be released. eg: add.cgi/add.pm are not released, the admin system isn't released, etc. Just the framework to initialize and deal with them.

GT::Template
GT::SQL
GT::Authenticate

Code:

use strict;
use lib '/path/to/admin';
use Links qw/$DB $IN $USER $CFG/;
local $SIG{__DIE__} = \&Links::fatal;
Links::init('/path/to/admin');
Links::init_user();
use Site::HTML;

sub main {
## start writing your program
}

This is the older header info, but the modules need to be able to be initialized this easily, by the end user, or they are just another set of access routines.

From this point, database access is 3 lines of code, template parsing is 1 line.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.