Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

[suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups

Quote Reply
[suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups
I would like to suggest Private forum areas, or members only discussion areas.... this would simplify discussing certain topics amoungst GROUPS of people. It would also allow GT (or the forum owner) to make annoucements which are open for discussion to a selected froup of people only.

For example: all the plugin developers could discusses pricing, and security of plugins.

This could be used for any sensitive types of discussions, and it saves a stack of private messaging. I don't know if GForum has this type of feature in it already, if it does it should be easy to set up on here if this is acceptable by others, and GT.

The private area would simply be invisible to non-members.

This may not be well received, but it is something I use on my forum for my editors, and it saves everyone a lot of posting!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 3, 2002, 11:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] [suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups In reply to
In Reply To:
The private area would simply be invisible to non-members.

Maybe, it already exists Sly
Quote Reply
Moderator forums have been requested (or at least mentioned) in the past....it would be nice :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups In reply to
Can't you do this already by defining a group "Moderators" and putting all your moderators into it, and then creating a forum with the permissions set only only people belonging to that group can access/read/write?
Quote Reply
Re: [zoherest] [suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups In reply to
Sorry, Im referring to this forum specifically.
Quote Reply
Oh! Sorry!
Quote Reply
I just want to make another point on the same topic.

This forum is currently open to everyone, even those who don't own any GT product at all. That is great! EXCEPT for people like bouncy ball and others who surf with the intention of disruption or worse.

Why not make certain areas open only to user who currently own a GT product!! These people should have a minimum amount of common sense and interest in support of everyone on here.

Just another suggestion.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've created a private forum for plugin authors, and have granted access to anyone who has a plugin listed on Gossamer. If you don't see it on the main page (under Discussions), send me an instant message.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] [suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups In reply to
Thank you very much Alex!

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi,
I see that this is a three year old posting, but I could not find any comment on how exactly to set up a forum that would be invisible to all but certain users.I've found that by limiting a category so that only a certain group has read/write access that others cannot see the contents of the category, but the forum/category still appears on the main index.

Is there a way to have certain categories/forums appear on the main index only to certain users ?

And, possibly related, is there a way to disable a particular forum and leave the others operating ?

Thanks.
Bob
Quote Reply
Re: [regert] [suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups In reply to
Hi,

You can't hide categories, but you can hide forums completely. Just make sure access is set to 'No access' for all users except the group you want. That way it won't even show up on the home page.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [regert] [suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups In reply to
Hi Bob,

Take a look in this discussion:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=210350#210350

Here Jagerman explains how to hide a category Wink

zaaron

---------
GetLokal Reviews
Quote Reply
Alex,
Thanks. for your reply. Is it possible to simply set up (install) another instance of GForum at a separate URL and have them both run simultaneously ? That way I could keep the private categories separate.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: [zaaron] [suggestion] Private Forum Areas or Member Groups In reply to
Zaaron,
Thanks for the pointer. It's not exactly clear where I'd add the suggested changes, but in any case it would only exclude guest users and anyone logged in would be able to see the 'private' category.

I'll ask if I can just run/install a second instance of GF.

Bob