Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Content Management System

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Content Management System
Why don't developing an industrial-strenght CMS for an accessible price?
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] Content Management System In reply to
Many of the Gossamer Threads products can be customized to be a CMS.

Example:

Links SQL - You can edit the Links_Links table to provide more content and add additional detailed pages for "links" to other materials. You can also use the upload plugin to allow multiple uploads for each section of the site.

FileMan - With the custom editor, you can distributively create and maintain content. With some plugins in progress, like common style sheets, you can serve up common content.

And there are many other examples of how current and evolving (like GT Community) GT products can be customized to be CMS.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Content Management System In reply to
Yes,I know but I asked for a true and complex CMS for managing articles and news...
Max
Quote Reply
You can do that with Links SQL...I have:

http://anthro-globe.com/

http://members.anthrotech.com/

And there are other examples of using Links SQL not just as a link directory in the Gossamer Threads resource section of this site.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Content Management System In reply to
Yes but I need a TRUE article management system and the actual GT products doesn't do that...
Max
Quote Reply
So, what does a true CMS have?
Quote Reply
Re: [gotze] Content Management System In reply to
Check this
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/articlemanager/

Ufortunately it's not flexible enough for me
Max
Quote Reply
Try http://www.xoops.org

this is probalby the easiest CMS, but others are available.
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Content Management System In reply to
xoops, postnuke, phpwebsite, and many others are really nice but ... something based on GT modules would be really nice. Also, connecting back to a GT prduct will probably be more of a hassle.

The community pluging even if a genreal login would provide hopefully a backend for such a system and hopefully it'll make the mulitple modules that are doubled with each GT program a thing of the past.

in the other thread I mentioned that possibly the community could be more. It's pretty obvious, and logical progression once all the scripts are using the same GT libs/modules. While getting all programs up to speed to use the same modules I bet will be more time consuming and troublesome ...

hmmm ....

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Content Management System In reply to
Yes, I agree with QooQ!!
Max
Quote Reply
maxpico,

you might look at csNewsPro over at http://www.cgiscript.net

or ezPublish at www.ez.no

I don't know what your requirements are. I think someone asked you already.
Quote Reply
Re: [memobug] Content Management System In reply to
the ez system is pretty nice looking but lot's of folks weren't really happy from what I've read at other places.

Also, a while back various modules were necessary to run it, so those on virtual hosts would have trouble like I did to convince their hosts to add modules just for you.

Quote Reply
Yes. There will always be lazy service providers, and the best way to deal with them is to vote with your feet and simply move elsewhere. ezPublish does need imagemagick to generate the various sized image views as well as some other modules.

I simply found a host that could handle the job. Both akashik.net and e-builders.com can set you up with ezPublish. I have had excellent support with both. Akashik didn't charge a penny for the setup, and e-builders did an ezPublish upgrade at no cost.

I don't know if ezPublish was anything close to what the poster was looking for. I really appreciate the simplicity of csNews myself, but if he wanted articles that could be commented on and polls, forms, image management, links and calendar, it might be worth looking at. ezPublish has a really barebones threaded forum, so it's nothing I expect to use anytime soon.

But I try to watch the most promising contenders, which is why I'm here :)

Regards,

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: [memobug] Content Management System In reply to
Yes I'm interested mostly in article management with advanced exporting features like XML... CsNews it's too simple. I've looked at EzPublish and it seems very good! But the problem is that I don't use very much PHP and my site is .shtml based... Also will Ez systems integrate with Gossamer Threads products? I plan to make a community with Gossamer Community, Gossamer Forum, and Links SQL.
I must create a PHP site for using Ezpublish?
Thanks
Max
Quote Reply
Your back to what I posted above. You're gonna have trouble mixing both systems.

how about /. slash dot?

hmmm I'm gonna wait a bit longer, since I'd prefer a GT based solution.

Quote Reply
What is slash dot?
Yes I will follow your advice QooQ... The best thing to do is to wait that GT develops a great article manager. But the thing to know is if Gossamer Threads is interested in this....
Max
Quote Reply
You might want to check out http://hotscripts.com/.../Content_Management/ if you haven't already. There are over 150 Perl CMS scripts listed there.

If you want XML output, it sounds like a news publishing script is going to be closer to your needs, so try http://www.hotscripts.com/...ams/News_Publishing/ too (just 81 links there).

A decent CMS script can't be written overnight, so you'd have a long wait for a GT version considering they haven't even started on one yet and are busy working on other things.

You might be able to add some of available mods to Links to do some of what you want, but not everything - unless you're fluent enough in Perl to fill in some of the gaps.
Quote Reply
here is the link to http://slashcode.com/ it's one of the major news sites on the net. Macslash uses the same code I thing http://www.macslash.org/ I think. Mac OSX hints uses http://geeklog.sourceforge.net/ a php solution.

slashcode you need access to your server I think.

If the community-plugin is just a common login I'll probably go with slashcode since it's perl, nothing against php since I use it all over my site but ... it just seems a more advanced system but I could be wrong.

Goodluck

Quote Reply
I've already searched in these directories...
QooQ where can I find a demo version of Slash that I can try online? The slashcode.com site does not seem very usable...
Thanks
Max

Last edited by:

maxpico: Jun 14, 2002, 12:41 AM
Quote Reply
hmmm ... not too sure.

You're wanting to see the backend? macslash or slashdot.com should give you a general idea how the top ends work though.

Is your home machine OSX server or OSX? If so I'd just install it and give it a whirl.

I'm dragging my feet recently due to staffing difficulties. I'm gunna have to wait until a project I'm working on is finished before I get to slashdot. sorry.

good luck though.

Quote Reply
ah.. Yes I run Mac OS X Server for the server and OS X/OS 9 for my home computer
Max
Quote Reply
Smile

I'm on 10.1.4 ... I've been really lazy about this last update. Hopefully, I'll get to it tomorrow!

old G4 pci 400 machine Smile

Quote Reply
Cool
Max
Quote Reply
Ya know,

LinksSQL really is a CMS already. I have been toying with it for a year now (I'm slow) and it does eveything that you'd need. There are some great globals written that fix up things like bold tags and < br> tags, and there is a great printer frienly version of the detailed page plugin that I believe Yogi wrote. Activate your image upload, add whatever fields to your database, edit your templates and you are all set.

It sounds way more daunting than it is. I even installed a global with the help of a global Alex wrote to include a link to my vB forums at the end of an article, defined in the admin, upon verification.

I don't have something finished to show you, because I just have been building in my spare time. But I have to tell you that LinksSQL alread is what you are looking for. Just do a search on my username and you'll find a bunch of topics related to my trying to figure this out.

LinksSQL is a wonderful product that is a great CMS for articles, FAQ's etc.

p.s. I bought article manager too. It is a bit too automated and hard coded for my tastes. Did ya notice how Interactive Tools just put up a Gossamer-Forum for their online support? cool, eh? Wink

best of luck!

Last edited by:

Evoir: Jun 18, 2002, 11:58 PM
Quote Reply
I'm doing a CMS based on GT libs since 2 years..

the results are here and here or here.

Well, time is passing and the current release (the name of this CMS is C4sql) is still based on LSql 1.1x; the upgrading phase is quite long just because right now I'm trying to build new pieces to be as much as I can compatible with the next release.

My plans are simple: just after GT Community comes out I will start a new project from scrach and buils the same C4sql based completely on GT libs.

Some nice things C4sql have:
  • Gerarchical User / Staff / Categories policies
  • Documents policies / date and space positions (what when where)
  • Calendar
  • User tracking system
  • Ready to plug with a Geographc CAD
  • HelpDesk integrated (ticketing) (under development)
  • Documents can be inserted directly via email (also with images)
  • XML export / import
  • Built in Banner engine
  • many other things.

I studied quite deepely GT libs and I'm pretty shure the next generation of CMS I'm going to produce would be a lot ALOT more easier to produce starting with the incredible LSQL2.

I am very interested on exchanging ideas and comments on this matter.

ciao ciao

lepo
Lepo
> >