Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

30 days Evaluation copy of GM products

Quote Reply
30 days Evaluation copy of GM products
There should be a 30 days evaluation copy of all the GT scripts.
Many user have projetcs where they need to customize the scripts to their needs. Also many user donīt make so big money with their projects that they can buy the scripts just to check if they can use the script.
What would be the price of the future community script, based on the singles prices now?

An evaluation copy would be fair, and does not create bad atmosphere between GT and customer once a purchased script canīt be used by the customer like he thought before.

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Last edited by:

Michael Skaide: Oct 27, 2001, 12:39 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
I dont think that would be very effective for GT. Firstly, there will be people pirating copys out as their own and possibly even selling the code! Secondly, they do offer Links 2, which can be brought after you decide if you are going to use it.

As for letting people download free 30 day trials of Gossamer Mail, Links SQL, you'd quite frankly be lucky Tongue

I dont think anyone, IMHO opinion, at GT is willing to take that chance of their software being pirated (at least if I were in their position i wouldnt).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I think it is quite a good idea although I'm not sure that GT would put it into practice.

....but that is obviously for them to decide.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
RedRum,

I also donīt know how to make it in practice, but for me the money is hard reality. I like to pay for a script if I can use it, but if I purchased it and realize that I canīt use it like expected itīs a very unpleasure situation.

Take a look at the forum. You can see that most of the users are no hackers or freaks. They have questions and just try to get it running like they need it. Iīm not sure that everyone is successfull with his efforts. If a script costs 50$ itīs ok. You can give him a try, if it does not work like you want .... forget the action, but if a script costs 500$ or 1000$ the situation changed.

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Maybe they will consider it if Gossamer-Forum is a success (in terms of the 30-day trial)
Quote Reply
General Comments to this thread:

Pirating ... 30 day trials ... hmmm ...

Like banning a person ... if they really want they can get it. think about how many folks who don't really know how to protect their servers. People with hosting services are a bit better off but if you're on your own and have domebody get on your box .. well what can you say .. but if somebody wanted something that bad ... I'm sure they're not going to be a major site to begin with.

30 day trial would be interesting for let's say ... dev boxes ... I'm sure there are special registration codes that are already used in this manner ... if there aren't any ... I bet it wouldn't be that hard to implement on GTs side ... OR how about dev boxes located through the GT site, where users sign up for a 30 day trial "hosting account" ... boxes that could be seperated off the main trunk lines therefore preventing back door entrances to the main servers at GT. Or somethign along of a bang me around demo versions might be feasible solution. I would love to see the back end to Gossmaer Mail and DBMan SQL ...

I totally understand people who contemplate about spending money or not on a more advanced script. I myself spent over a year debating whether to get LinksSQL or not, wanting it was easy but actually spending the money is another story. haha, aren't people strange ... spend $200 on a new CD burner but spending the same money on a script those same folks become all of a sudden stingy ... ahhh human psyche is quite interesting.

But even if you did have a chance to demo and play with it onyour own site would you actually still buy it??? Wanting it more - YES but the money factor still remains. If you buy the script will you be able to get the same satisfaction a CD burner would give you?

I guess for myself a fully "play with me" demo would do just as fine for me. Provide enough chances for wanting it more and still provide GT with the security that thousands of demo copies won't be available on the net for tampering.

just some ideas ....

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
Hey what about us guys from other parts of the world.
I'm from Australia and our exchange rate realy stinks, $1.00AUD = $0.5021USD. We have to pay twice as much for GT products.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [lanerj] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
lol mate,

I'm from Australia as well. We aren't paying twice as much. The Aussie dollar is worth half the US dollar, but we earn about twice as much, so we are paying the same thing.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
In Reply To:
lol mate,

I'm from Australia as well. We aren't paying twice as much. The Aussie dollar is worth half the US dollar, but we earn about twice as much, so we are paying the same thing.

Well in Kiwi land we earn much less than our Kangaro mates and far below everyone else in the World. Is that not why all the Kiwi's are leaving home and never coming back - some even go and live in Australia Angelic and then we pay well over half in the currency exchange change over - last time I looked NZD was worth .41cents to the USD. ShockedBlushMadCrazy

Quote Reply
Re: [Ian Conza] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
Everyone pays the same no matter where they live....that's kinda the point of the exchange rate Crazy

It's all relative.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 28, 2001, 5:36 PM
Quote Reply
Paul,

You are missing two key concepts, which have already been mentioned in this forum:

1) Cost of living variances
2) Wage/Salary variances

These two concepts are not universal across different countries (and even states or providences within countries)...while the attempt at currency rate exchanges may be to provide similar prices for goods and services, the fact of the matter is that there are large gaps in cost of living and wages/salaries that makes it unfair for people in some countries to afford computer software, like GT products.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Everyone pays the same no matter where they live....that's kinda the point of the exchange rate Crazy

It's all relative.

And then there is those who would say $1.00 should be $1.00 no matter what currency you pay in - not .41 cents Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
As I said, it's all relative in a lot of cases.

It may be $100/month for electricity in the US and you may earn $50,000/year.

On the other hand you may live in Outer Mongolia and earn $10,000/year but you may live in the jungle and not have an electricity bill.

Quote Reply
Well, your other reply definitely gives the impression that paying for products and services is uniformed and doesn't matter about people's cost of living or wages...your statment,"it's all relative" means nothing in your other reply, but in your most recent reply, it makes better sense...in a way, sort of (not accurate example), but does make better sense.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I don't claim to know all, infact far from it, but 6 years of Economics and Business Studies and a degree in Business does kinda help me know what I'm talking about...sort of Angelic

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 28, 2001, 6:32 PM
Quote Reply
Not to match wits or anything, I think that ten years of anthropology training focusing on economic systems does help me to evaluate statements like the ones you've made...
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Nice, and Im sure my fathers 25 years of Economics degree's and teaching gives him the edge over us both Tongue
Quote Reply
flatview reply -- just clicking at the bottm (hmmm ... another reply option in here somewhere ?)

yeah, difference in exchange rate is tough ... but even if GT lowers it for all the folks stuck at disadvantageous exchange rates then should all companies do the same? So yeah it's unfair that one currency is stronger than another but it is a set price -- now if GT were to offere a ALL-in-One solution like Adobe or Macromedia that might be something useful.

Also, nobody has mentioned that Canadians are charged at US rates !!! hehe, they about as bad off as the aussies or is the kiwis Crazy Personally, I lose about 20 cents to the dollar.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] 30 days Evaluation copy of GM products In reply to
Put the darn things in Euros ;-)

- wil