Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Bugzilla??
Hello....

Any Bugzilla for GT Products in general.
It's a pain keeping track of bugs reported.

Or is it that it is not in plans at all?

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Bugzilla?? In reply to
Hi,

We do use an internal bug tracking system, but don't have any plans to make it public, sorry.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Bugzilla?? In reply to
Hi.

Fine. No problems. It's just that things become very difficult for the user who submits the bug and never really knows the status. One has to come back to forums, dig that thread out again and issue a reminder...

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi.

Fine. No problems. It's just that things become very difficult for the user who submits the bug and never really knows the status. One has to come back to forums, dig that thread out again and issue a reminder...

Thanks
HyTC

There are some thing that are better not made public =)

Look at it this way... What if a person, who is trying to exploit a site/GT product, takes a look at the bug list ... and from there, works out a vunrability?

I only speak from experience with one of my scripts Frown (going back a few years... but the story hopefully still gets the point across =)).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Bugzilla?? In reply to
Hi.

Your POV well understood.
My POV is that a user when he submits a bug to an open forum like this, isn't is more dangerous? In Bugzilla Accounts at least a guy has to be a registered user to at least see them (that's how *normally* they are configured by prject owners).

Another side to it is, that if there is an abrupt end to a thread concerning bug it's no good experience either.

And getting the bugs sorted out cannot go into a *Custom Work* category for sure... though there can be a difference of opinion on this from the respective view points.

I am sorry if these comments offend anyone but the matter of the fact still remains that a bug cannot be PAID up for getting corrected.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
My POV is that a user when he submits a bug to an open forum like this, isn't is more dangerous? In Bugzilla Accounts at least a guy has to be a registered user to at least see them (that's how *normally* they are configured by prject owners).

You're point of view is understood too Smile

Quote:
Another side to it is, that if there is an abrupt end to a thread concerning bug it's no good experience either.

Agreed.

Quote:
And getting the bugs sorted out cannot go into a *Custom Work* category for sure... though there can be a difference of opinion on this from the respective view points.

Again, agreed. I don't think GT do this though. I've seen a few bug reports around, which are fixed up fairly quickly, and released in the next update. However, these are only true bugs ... i.e, like you said, a bug that breaks something (that the user can see). Feature requests though (i.e "can you add...") arn't really their responsability.

I guess its not really my place to go too deep into any issues/problems that you may have had ... but please remember; Its always easier than it looks =)

I, for one... know exactly how it is. One bug... leads onto another one.. or a better way to do something... and before you know it, you've rewritten the whole routine. Also, its very well fixing the bug... but you need to be sure it hasn't broken anything else (which is why GT test the latest fixes on this forum, when they feel it is stable enough for live viewing) .... if that isn't a good enough test.. I don't know what is =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Bugzilla?? In reply to
I am more conerned about bugs as that damages quite a bit.
Feature additions can always be on hold no problems. If such threads die out finally it doesn't really matter much. Apparently sometimes there is a border case when Bugs presumably Become a Feature Request and hence a *Custom Job* (depending on perspective) just because urgency is expressed with respect to the same.

While on "Can I Do This..." or "How To Do This..." type of queries, I do let it take a nosedive if asked here and prefer it to do it on own (cf proxied mod_perl).

Smile

HyTC